Masking help on terrain

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Masking help on terrain

ckob(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello Im trying to multitexture a terrain and what im doing is using a masked texture for each texture layer on the terrain and loading a seperate Terrain entity per layer. Now it works great I can have multiple textures and scale them all I want however I have a slight problem on the edge of the terrain where they meet each other.
http://www.banished-studios.com/prob.jpg?

a small seam I cant seem to get this figured out.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#2]
if you turn off mipmapping it may help

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#3]
*and not use jpg if you are using it.*

ckob(Posted 2004) [#4]
nope bmp all the way :P I also tried turning off mipmapping and it still does it:/ is there a way that anyone knows of to maybe weld the vertices togethor?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#5]
you say terrain entity - is it a blitz terrain, or a mesh-based pseudo terrain? I don't get it - you are using multitexturing and load a seperate terrain entity for each layer? So are you doing both, using multiple terrains, and all of them are using multitexturing?

Anyway, this problem is looking really weird. Make sure your bottom "terrain" is fully opaque, this way there shouldn't be any transparent (blue) hairlines. But of course, if you are using the masked texture as an additional texture-layer there may be some unexpected artifacts. In this case I'd suggest to test all possible blending modes to see if that's the problem.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#6]
i fixed it by extending the bottem layer to go underneath the top

ckob(Posted 2004) [#7]
ALright i fixed this up and used alpha instead of masked and it looks awesome however I can see polygons from the other parts of the terrain through the hills. Any ideas how to fight this?

ckob(Posted 2004) [#8]
Ok I finally got it working :)