64,000 tri surface?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/64,000 tri surface?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2004) [#1]
What's the limit to the number of tris in a surface with a GEforce2 GTS? My program seems to be falling over at above 64,000 - is this a limit of the card? Can I get around it by splitting into multiple surfaces?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
yes, it's the max, but wait, it's a 64k limit ($ffff or maybe a couple less) for vertices. So if you use shared vertices, you may get about the same amount of tris under circumstances. AFAIK this is a DirectX limit. The MAV happens only if you call renderworld with such a big mesh, but even when you have more then $ffff Vertices and then weld it and lower the number to smoething under $ffff, some artifacts are still left, some Vertices will forget their positions or something.
Yes, I guess the only solution is to split the surfaces up to fragments. Funny, once again a microsoft 64k limit that was hitten earlier than billy boy expected to do so.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2004) [#3]
Ha ha! Damn Gates to hell - I wish PowerPCs or RiscPCs ruled the roost but it will never happen.

Thanks for the response - I can get around the problem by splitting the surface but the frame rate will be poor so I'm going to try optimising my mesh a bit.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#4]
not sure whether its a problem on a newer API though. Lightwave couldn't have more than 64k polys in a model either not that long ago. same with 3ds files and many others.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#5]
It's a DX thing.

And Blitz stores vertex indices as words.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#6]
3DS files have a 32k Triangle per mesh restriction.
It is a DX and hardware thing.

On my old system ( GF4 440go ) I had this 64k restriction as well. But with my new Radeon Mobility 9700 this border is far higher.
But that isn't of much use as I want to have others playing my games as well :) It is only usefull to test the power of a terrain system for example.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#7]
" 3DS files have a 32k Triangle per mesh"

I'd like to be sure on this point...

Organica (coolfun.com) modeller had a limit in exporting 3ds files of 65k tris, said it was imposed mainly by the *.3ds design...

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2004) [#8]
I was creating the surface in Blitz, so file limits aren't the problem - or not the whole problem at least.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#9]
Bob: Sure that it are 64k Tris and not 64k Vertices?