Visual Blitz Is Awesome!!!!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Visual Blitz Is Awesome!!!!

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2004) [#1]
I've been coding my game in Visual Blitz for the last 2 months now and wow, this editor is simply amazing!!!! Man that guy comes up with some great stuff!! Well worth the money!

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#2]
I can second that.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#3]
Visual What?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#4]
Visual Blitz, an alternative the standard Blitz IDE. We use it and yes its far superior and saves loads on development time...

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#5]
I bought it 3 days ago and yes, it rocks.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#6]
Ooh.. gotta check that one out..

Pazza(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yep great ide i got it too.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#8]
It is really nice as long as the project is not split over many files as the project implementation seems still to be in a very early state which does not collect function names, constats etc over all project files, just the one you are actually viewing ...
there are some other probs with "new" features from the last version which make working with it more annoying than needed.
But I hope and think that they get fixed ...

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#9]
im skint and still have a VERY early version from when it was free

it only has 2 bugs.
and it rocks!
soon as ive bought my music software, my new ide is coming..

it truly is great :D

N(Posted 2004) [#10]
It's really a very nice IDE- I don't use it now, but back when the beta was out I did and it was without a doubt very well done. I can't imagine how much better it has gotten since then, but I use Protean now and I'm happy enough there.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2004) [#11]
I stopped using the free (beta) version recently and bought the full version. There have been quite a few new features implemented since it went commercial and it's worth every penny (£8.60 it cost me).

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#12]
I'd nearly say you're all Visual Blitz employees! Oh my god! lol

So uhmm... what are the main advantages of an alternative IDE, i am a COMPLETE n00b as far as IDE-s are concerned, i always used the default ones.

Anyone have a few lines of info for me? Whats so good about Visual Blitz?

thanks

Tracer(Posted 2004) [#13]
indeed, what does it have that the standard IDE doesn't have? And more importantly to me, what does it have that Protean doesn't do?

Tracer

N(Posted 2004) [#14]
Lenn: Well, alternative IDEs can allow plugins (Protean), project management (Protean and Visual Blitz), support for various other things (I know Protean does, dunno about VB), built-in preprocessors (No clue about either since I haven't researched the subject much at all), on-compile scripts (or at various other points- Protean supports this, doubt it if VB does), setting constants on build (e.g., in Protean you can set the constant DEVELOPER=1 for debug mode builds and for anything else it's off- once again, dunno if VB can do this), and other such features that the default IDE (which is the equivalent of Notepad with syntax highlighting) cannot do.

For the most part, plugins and project management are what really sold me on Protean. Being able to adapt my own work to the actual development environment intigued me, so if I wanted to implement my own feature I could.

Either way, it's down to preference, if you don't like the default IDE, you could switch to another free one, one of the commercial ones (Protean, CodeWarrior, Visual Blitz [which, for the price, is really good]), a text editor like vim or nano, etc.