Quake 2 BSP's

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Quake 2 BSP's

Hypervox(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

I want to use a Quake 2 BSP within Blitz - Does Blitz support quake 2 BSP's,a and if it doesn't, does anyone know of a way I could convert one to a format that is supported under Blitz3D?

Many Thanks In Advance

Sir Felgar(Posted 2004) [#2]
Blitz3D only supports Q3 BSPs. Ultimate Unwrap can convert most BSPs to B3d format. BSP Factory by Jedive also converts BSPs to B3D, athough I'm not sure if it supports Q2.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#3]
You lose all BSP information in the conversion to .b3d though ie. the speed increases it may give no longer apply as you're using one big mesh. In such a case its probably better just to model your level in a normal 3D modeller with all the bells and whistles and not limit yourself to CSG 'brushes' that look a bit clunky by todays standards :)

Hypervox(Posted 2004) [#4]
Thanks for the info everyone. I've got to work with BSP's because I'm writinng a tool to help with machinima movies created in Quake 2, so the "sets" are quake 2 BSP's. If I can get a quake 2 bsp converted to a quake 3 bsp, then I can use that in Blitz. I have several options as well as those you have mentioned...

Decompile the bsp into a map file, then recompile to quake 3 format....

Convert the bsp into a mesh, and use the mesh.

The last option may be he one I use, as there is a free utility that will convert BSP's to VMRL's - I can then convert these if required.....

Any other thoughts?

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#5]
Where is this tool that converts BSPs to VRML, and did you try it? How are the textures handled?

Hypervox(Posted 2004) [#6]
Found A site that has tutorials on converting BSP's to different formats...

http://hazzard21.tripod.com/bannerad.html

I found tutorial 3 most useful for me, as it gives me a route from q2 to q3 bsp's, tutorial 3 is the one for VMRL. Links to all conversion utilities are included