Texture transitions - turn the light on

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Texture transitions - turn the light on

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

a question to all ye B3D pros: as a Gile[s] user (might apply to other lightmappers, too) I'd like to be able to fade one texture into another.

As an example, imagine the abandoned dark bridge of a spaceship, which is activated by the player - various lights are turned on, and within two seconds the bridge is lighted.

I know that there were some discussions in different variations ongoing about fading textures, so I ask: what would be the best way to go?

a) fade one texture/brush into another (it seems this cannot be done in real time?)

b) have seperate texture layers in your level, and blend (dito. can't be done due to Blitz limitations?)

c) have the same level in two variations, and fade these with EntityAlpha (can be done but has ... what penalty?)

Are there any other ways, or is c) the way to go?

N(Posted 2004) [#2]
Not sure but maybe sswift's Anibrush stuff would help you.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#3]
well thanks, but not even the demo link works.

MSW(Posted 2004) [#4]
erm...entity color? verticy color?...you can do all sorts of effects with those...

another is to create a small texture (2 pixel by 2 pixel) with sphereical mapping and appy it to the surfaces you want color changed...writepixelfast can run quite quick when you are only dealing with changeing four pixels.