Creating windows and panel overlays

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Creating windows and panel overlays

Magian(Posted 2004) [#1]
Anyone know of a place where I might start learning how to create windows and panel overlays using Blitz3D?

N(Posted 2004) [#2]
Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by 'windows and panel overlays'? As in HUD elements or a GUI or a window/panel used by the Windows UI, etc.

Magian(Posted 2004) [#3]
Ideally, I would like to create elements that would have similar functionality to windows in that they could be drug around the screen using the mouse and could respond to certain events.

Additionally, I would like to be able to implement user-adjustable transparency for these interface elements.

Unfortunately, I think I may be in over my head.

N(Posted 2004) [#4]
Well, I'd advise taking a look at my GUI's source code (for Blitz3D) and Syntax Error's (known as JimB now I think) Sprite Control library.

GUI
The source for it is 99% uncommented, but most of it is fairly easy to grasp since it's all done with a simple concept: interpolate between two points to get the 3d on-screen point instead of camera picking a plane every time you need the point. Then, simply adding vertices to these 3d points and creating a quad- or panel/sprite/window/what have you.

Sprite Control
And this one.. well it's just really good.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#5]
If your looking for a 3d imitation of windows gui, check out FUI:

http://www.f-software.co.uk/index.php?p=home

Magian(Posted 2004) [#6]
Noel:
Thank you, Noel; it's much appreciated. I'm checking out the code now and hoping I am able to decipher at least some of it.

bot builder:
I don't want a Windows imitation; I'm looking for a way to hopefully create my own interfaces that will be customized for each game/app I create. More precisely I would like to learn how can fundamentally create my own look and style for interfaces for each game/app.