struts and such

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/struts and such

ryan scott(Posted 2004) [#1]
here's a question for you wizards.

anyone ever simulated a 4 wheeled vehicle with articulated wheels?

i'm not sure if that's what you call it exactly. what i mean is you drive over a boulder, and that wheel goes up, but the car doesn't necessarily tip, and at all times 3 wheels are on the ground.

or is that called independent suspension?

i have a car with 4 wheels, and during each frame the wheels try to press down a little bit (stopped by the ground), then the car is aligned to that, stopped by the ground too. then the wheels are aligned to the car, ad infinitum.

it works anyway, conforming the car to the terrain. but if one wheel was going over a bump, it would definitely pick up the rest of the car, probably lifting 2 wheels up. i think like in real life the car would tip to one of the sides so that 3 wheels hit ground.

has anyone played with this kind of simulation? should i just look into tokamak or something?

Mac M(Posted 2004) [#2]
If you want realism and your levels aren't going to be totally plane, I suggest you to move to Tokamak. It's easier to implement that with its physics engine. You also can program your physics routines, but you will spend a lot more time, and will have to solve future problems like what happens when the car flips, or the problem that you explain.
Try Tokamak, now there are a lot of documentation that explains all about it (well, almost all).

Regards

ryan scott(Posted 2004) [#3]
can i assume its not going to slow down my game? i mean it sounds really worth it (the demos are compelling), but its not like i have a zillion fps to spare. (can anyone spare me some fps?)

poopla(Posted 2004) [#4]
Sure, it sounds like alot of people here are willing to get rid of doom3 for next to nothing.

*har har har*

You could use verlet, and combine that with linepicks to find the distance to the ground at each tire(you would use this to find spring rebound force and such).