double side renderable faces?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/double side renderable faces?

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#1]
I used to do or watch doing this stuff for a pair of mods, one in HL 1 , and other for ut2003.

I wonder if is possible in Blitz. Is just curiosity of the artist, not that I am coding or anything.

To explain it better:

Is it possible to have a face or a bunch of faces, so that though they have only one side face, the engine can render (usually with the same texture that is applied in the front face) the back sides too?

Imagine this situation: A leaf. I know. there are many other ways to do it. It's just that in certain situations, is better and more optimized to do so, also you avoid possible darkening due to normals of faces that are too near or adjacent.

I saw it done also in many counter strike wire walls, leafs and vegetation, etc.

I don't know if it is possible in Blitz3d. I think you can't make opacity maps make it render the tga channel transparency, but would be cool if at least allowed this of rendering the back faces with some engine command or something...

I insist , I don't know about code, I am only wondering if it is possible.

thx...

DarkEagle(Posted 2004) [#2]
one of the entityfx values disables backface culling, thats what you want. i have a feeling it may be 16.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#3]
It's obviously possible. Whether or not DirectX or Blitz would do it, is another question. The real question, I think, is how do you SET a polygon as double-sided. There would have to be a parameter for that.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#4]
In simple case you clone the triangle and invert its vertex order as it is simpler to do it that way if you have only a few double sided.

with more double sided triangles you make an object out of them to use entityfx

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#5]
Those wire walls and stuff are a basic block set to be transparent to the masked color of the texture.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#6]
Entityfx entity,16

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#7]
thanks a lot to all :)

The fact is I didn't wished it to have 2 faces smashed pointing its normals in opposite direction.

Seems that is the command... Thank you!