Tooltips kill framerate

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Tooltips kill framerate

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#1]
I've noticed something very odd that always seems to happen with Blitz3D when running in windowed mode.

If I hover the mouse over something, like a taskbar icon, and a tooltip appears, the Blitz3D program starts going at a real crawl. I've had it go from 200 FPS to 1 FPS.

Anyone know why? Blitz3D bug?

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#2]
Driver issue? I just tried out a program I'm working on. Approx 200 FPS, doesn't decrease at all when hovering over an icon.

Another thought, maybe your system is slow? I know blitz likes to hog CPU cycles from windows. If your system is slow and Blitz is grabbing 100% of the CPU, then activating someting like a tooltip will require some CPU cycles so Blitz framerate will drop, although I can't imagine it dropping that much just to open a tooltip.

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#3]
Hmm. Must be a driver thing then. If I stick a Delay 5 in the loop it doesn't make a difference, so it's not that Blitz is using all the CPU cycles.

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#4]
Ok, I take back my last post. I was running the program in debug mode. When ran in release mode, I get approx 400 fps, but when I hover over a taskbar icon, the framerate drops to about 230 fps.

However, I did notice that when I ran the program, the CPU usage jumped from less than 1% up to 100%, so I still think it's from the tooltip stealing cycles from blitz.

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#5]
400 FPS? I don't get that with a blank screen.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#6]
Rottbott:

Use "Flip 0" to update as fast as possible.It is never normally required to update faster than the screen refresh rate....