BSP trees, BSP Factory?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/BSP trees, BSP Factory?

martonic(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi! Can anyone suggest a tool to create BSP trees for Blitz3d? Google did not lead to anything useful. I've heard of "BSP Factory" but cannot find it (seems Binary People are not offering tools any more, and there was some controversy over that).

I would like to investigate BSP Factory - can the author provide a demo or sell me a copy to explore?

Is there anything else available for this purpose?

Thanks.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#2]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=35223

Get in contact with Jedive, he is a very friendly guy who can help. I am sure he has a demo he can provide you with to play around with.

BSP Factory (BSPF) is a nice tool but be aware you won't gain any of the speed gains that the BSP-tree format can offer, such as occlusion.

Natively Blitz3d supports Quake 3 BSP - however, as I'm sure you're aware, there are licencing issues associated with using this format.

BSP Factory is purely a Half-Life BSP to -> .b3d model conversion tool. It does do a few other tricks, such as lightmapping. But ideally you should use it as a tool to convert your maps (with or without prefabs) to a useable Blitz format. Half Life .bsp's can be 'compiled' from .map files using free tools such as Zoner's Half Life Compile tools

I hope that helps, perhaps if you are looking to implement a proper occlusion system, you might also consider a forthcoming tool called PortalPal. Might be worth e-mailing the author if you are interested :)

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#3]
martonic, can you receive a 2mb file in your email account? If so, i will send you the BSP Factory demo to your email account.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

martonic(Posted 2004) [#4]
Jedive,

Please email to: marty@...

Thank you!

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#5]
I have sent BSP Factory v1.1 demo to that email address. Hope you like it.

martonic(Posted 2004) [#6]
Got it, thank you!

Koriolis(Posted 2004) [#7]
Sorry to hijack this thread (again).
Jedive, didn't you get my mail?

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#8]
This last three days I've been reinstalling everything on my computer (I changed my hard drive). I have seen your mail just yestarday, and I have downloaded the beta. Now, BSP Factory uses BVM2. I'll tell you about any bugs I may found on it on your website forums :)

Thanks for adding me to your beta-tester list.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#9]
Hay Martonic, can you email me the copy of BSP factory that Jedive emailed you? He's been trying to send me it for three days and for some reason it won't go through. Email him if you want confirm that. :-)

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#10]
That's ok Martonic. You can send it to him. It's strange, I have been sendgin big files with my gmail account to many people, but sswift hasn't received any of the two emails I sent him with BSP Factory :(