What's a better Blitz Editor

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/What's a better Blitz Editor

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2004) [#1]
I've used the Blitz Editor for a couple of years now, and I'm starting to really get annoyed with some things. Anyone know of a good third party editor that has these kinds of features?

Mutiple Undos/Redos
Sorting of the Function list
Comparable debugging
Similar .decl systax hylighting system for non-standard blitz code.

Those are probably the most important to me.

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#2]
BlitzView, Visual Blitz, Protean

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#3]
here we go again...

Well there are loads out there, it's a personal thing but I use Blitz View...

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#4]
Visual Blitz. It is the most like the default IDE but with all the little extras you need to make life easier.

Jason.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#5]
try them till you find one, Visual blitz is simple and easy with all the extras as said above, i use it.

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#6]
Another vote for Visual Blitz

GfK(Posted 2004) [#7]
Another vote for Visual Blitz

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#8]
Nother for visual blitz -

PS: why is it that the two blitzview people always post first in these threads? :-P

And now protean people can't argue about how "it has project support, and that's ceraintly worth 3x the cash" since VisualBlitz recently got project support.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#9]
Protean

soja(Posted 2004) [#10]
blah blah blah visual blitz blah blah blah protean

just look at the 15 million other threads about this, eh?

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#11]
WE should have a poll :D

GfK(Posted 2004) [#12]
WE should have a poll :D
We're having one, aren't we?

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#13]
One that gives you a chart. most people won't even bother posting in these threads. Do you think it would be okay to announce the poll?

I'm gonna make an automated poll. So far my list is:

Default Blitz IDE
BlitzView
Visual Blitz
Protean
IndeED
Brain Editor Professional

Any more?

I can have up to 9.

http://www.webpollcentral.com/v2/poll.php?polls=MTQ5NzQ=&user=bot_builder

Here it is BTW if your's is on the list vote for it otherwise tell me what IDE to put on it.

Hansie(Posted 2004) [#14]
CodeWarrior from MetroWerks!! :-)

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#15]
I bought protean and it works okay, but I missed the simplicity and open and write-edness of the default IDE so I moved back. Funnily, my workflow is pretty quick. I'll probably move back to protean when I get some more ram.

So I vote for the default IDE!

podperson(Posted 2004) [#16]
17 votes and results quoted to four significant figures ;)

EditPlus?

N(Posted 2004) [#17]
I use Protean and ConTEXT side-by-side.

Eole(Posted 2004) [#18]
Now I prefer Proteam, because I need some foldind evreywhere, an project management etc ... But with proteam you need a very good PC

R0B0T0(Posted 2004) [#19]
Again, in case anyone missed it, Visual Blitz now has project management.

JazzieB(Posted 2004) [#20]
BIDE is another one not on the list.

MikeT(Posted 2004) [#21]
BIDE is quite good

GfK(Posted 2004) [#22]
Again, in case anyone missed it, Visual Blitz now has project management.
Well, its certainly being worked on. Most of it doesn't seem to work yet though...

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#23]
Hey I'm a blitzview person :D
I like it because it highlights every function, it tells me when I have insert on, and it is quite tidy and well organised. I also quite like how it teaches me german :D

Looking at other free ones again now, because it seems rather unpopular (though I'm certain it has great potential and I wish the person who made it will come back).

Just out of curiosity: Have any of you tried IndeED? It looks like it has some good potential.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#24]
Everybody by now knows that I use Protean, so I won't bother mentioning that again here...

iamdaman13(Posted 2006) [#25]
Does BIDE exist anymore? I couldn't find it on their website.

iamdaman13(Posted 2006) [#26]
Sorry about reviving an old post, but I didn't want to waste a new topic on this question. Don't worry about my last question. I would like to know, however, where is the demo for Visual Blitz ide? I clicked on the link here, but it was a broken link. I'm trying to find an ide that has a better debugger. In Protean, I can look at the values of, for example, a linked list up to 3 levels deep. For instance, the debugger would show something like:
-myList.list
|-firstElement.element
| |-myElement.element
| | |-myElement.element
Then all it would tell me is if the element 3 levels into the list was null or not, but I couldn't expand through the list any further. Anyone who uses jGrasp, Eclipse, or Visual Studio should understand what I mean. Is there an IDE for B3D that will allow me to look into the full depth of elements with sub-elements during debug?
Thanks,
Joe

AJirenius(Posted 2006) [#27]
Protean really helped me out here!

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#28]
i've been using the default ide as i was a noob.

in the mean time: it makes me sick!
i used blitzedit, blitzedit2, and since a week protean, which i must say, is the best one i ever saw!

i don't know why mark sibly done such a gread job on blitz3d and such a creepy ide!?

Jaime(Posted 2006) [#29]

i don't know why mark sibly done such a gread job on blitz3d and such a creepy ide!?

Long time ago, at the Blitz Betatesters era, Mark stated he hate IDE's, and that those were his weakpoint :)

About the IDEs, I'm using Protean, it's very nice and now it's free :)

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#30]
yes, protean is THE choice!!!

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#31]
UltraEdit

Filax(Posted 2006) [#32]
Filax say : Visual blitz ,Light, quick to launch, never crash...

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#33]

line numbers, lots of themes. this one is visual studio modified by myself. code tabbing, projects, line highlighting
ans so on...

Shambler(Posted 2006) [#34]
Visual Blitz

iamdaman13(Posted 2006) [#35]
I like using Protean, but it doesn't fix my issue I mentioned earlier. Is there an editor that will? I want to try Visual Blitz, but the demo listed here is a broken link.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#36]
I stopped using Visual Blitz because the author disappeared and the current version had flaws with keyboard input, that would affect the compiled version of my code running. I don't know if he has come back and updated since then. I haven't seen him tho.