How can I set 3dsmax's unit size to equal Blitz's?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/How can I set 3dsmax's unit size to equal Blitz's?

ChrML(Posted 2004) [#1]
How can I set 3dsmax's unit size to equal Blitz's unit size?

I was thinking about doing this, as then I can think of a Blitz unit as a meter, and also think of a 3dsmax unit as a meter to avoid scale problems.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#2]
I pretty sure this issue has been discussed before - do a formum search (good luck) :)

Us Wings3D users are lucky as wings units are EXACTLY the same size as blitz units. An absolute godsend for my current game which overlays a mesh (built in blitz) on top of a model created in wings.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2004) [#3]
Us Wings3D users are lucky as wings units are EXACTLY the same size as blitz units

That's what all programs do. It isn't luck. Blitz doesn't care wether you use meters or kilometers as your unit of measurment. It see something is 1 unit wide so makes it 1 unit wide.

Create a cube that is 1*1*1 in ANY 3d software and it will be 1*1*1 in blitz.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#4]
1 unit in max is one unit in blitz. You don't have to change anything, unless you want to align stuff to the grid. The grid settings are under one of the options, or preferences on the pulldown menus at the top. You'll want to set the grid to something that is less than 1 unit wide so you can make features smaller than one meter wide.

ChrML(Posted 2004) [#5]
Ah, thanks, I see.

@sswift: Thanks, I think I'll set the grids to 1/5 units :).

big10p(Posted 2004) [#6]

That's what all programs do. It isn't luck. Blitz doesn't care wether you use meters or kilometers as your unit of measurment. It see something is 1 unit wide so makes it 1 unit wide.

Ah, I didn't know that. I assumed it was varied for different modellers because some of the models supplied with B3D are absolutely HUGE when displayed in blitz.

ChrML(Posted 2004) [#7]

Hmm, the upper mesh is made in 3dsmax (manually set to size 1x1x1 in 3dsmax), and the lower mesh is made with CreateCube in Blitz, which is ofcourse 1x1x1 in Blitz units.

How come they both are different sized (yes, I am sure that the red mesh isn't far behind, I can move the cam around)?

Koriolis(Posted 2004) [#8]
which is ofcourse 1x1x1 in Blitz units
Nope. From the doc:
The cube will extend from -1,-1,-1 to +1,+1,+1.

So you have a cube which is 2 units large on each axis.

ChrML(Posted 2004) [#9]
Lol, whahaha, I see.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#10]
"I assumed it was varied for different modellers because some of the models supplied with B3D are absolutely HUGE when displayed in blitz."

That isn't because Blitz units are different than the modeling tool, it is because the artist chose a different scale for what the units mean. 1 unit is 1 unit in both Blitz and 3D Studio Max (for example,) but what does 1 unit mean? Is 1 unit=1 inch? In that case the model will be huge if you plunk it into a scene where 1 unit=1 meter. A 3 unit tall box will be 3 inches tall in the first case but 3 meters tall in the second; note that either way it is 3 units.

Me, I find I generally use 1 unit=1 foot. What scale you use mainly comes down to numerical accuracy for your game: you want to choose a scale where you will have enough floating point precision and where the outermost vertices of your levels are within like 10,000 units (too far out and rendering starts getting flaky.)

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#11]
This has got to be the most flabbergasting question ever.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#12]
I dunno about that, I thought this one was pretty flabbergasting.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=26101#271538

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#13]
Flabbergasting in what way?

ChrML(Posted 2004) [#14]
@jhocking: I hate the american system (feet, inches and so on). The metric system always wins. 10 mm in one cm, 10 cm in one dm, and 10 dm in one meter, and 1000 meters in one kilometer. How simple :).

bradford6(Posted 2004) [#15]
the cube is 2 hectares
the 3ds max cube is a simple Acre

Acres = 3.14 * Hectares/foo

simple!

Miracle(Posted 2004) [#16]
I hate the american system (feet, inches and so on).

Oh yes, the Imperial system. Blame the Brits for that one. They started it. :)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#17]
I prefer metric myself actually. The math is so much easier. I tend to go with 1 unit=1 foot for most human scale games however because 1 unit=1 meter is too coarse with most tools, and anyway I tend to fudge numbers or just outright guess so I don't care much about super-accurate math.

Koriolis(Posted 2004) [#18]
What about centimeters or millimeters then?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#19]
Because those are too small. Feet are a nice midpoint in scale between meters and centimeters. I suppose I might use decimeters to keep everything metric, but then nobody represents measurements as decimeters so that would just be weird.

"How tall is the character?"
"18."
"WTF?"

ChrML(Posted 2004) [#20]
What about decimeters then? :P It's 1/10 meters.