single resource file???

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/single resource file???

D4NM4N(Posted 2004) [#1]
Has anyone made a packer that can create a single resource file, wih all models textures and sounds to a single file. It needs to have replacement routines for example

instead of : loadanimmesh(filename)
i can use 4 eg: loadanimmeshfrompak(pakname,filename)

(or something to that effect)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
TeraPak

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#3]
Im sure there are things like that.... Ive definitely seen seen references to packing stuff in that manner.

loadanimmeshfrompak(pakname,filename)

That would be so cool!!!

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#4]
I don't see how you could load an animmesh in code, because Blitz doesn't allow you to create bones in code. Possibly one of these "blitz is hacked" threads would yield a way of doing it, but not something you could rely on, since that blitz-hacking is subject to change.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#5]
Im sure he was just using this command as an example. The point being, being able to load media from a single file which perhaps may utilise customised functions to simulate the loading of individual files.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#6]
Terapak... Throws all the binaries into a single file then when you load a specific file from it it saves it as an individual temp file then loads it in... Not an elegant solution but it works.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#7]
Im sure he was just using this command as an example. The point being, being able to load media from a single file which perhaps may utilise customised functions to simulate the loading of individual files.

Well ya, but AnimMesh's are only an example of media you can't simulate loading of too. I mean you can simulate static meshes and textures, but not sound, not music, not anim mesh's. It's fifty/fifty at best. It's not like anim mesh's are the only thing you can't do.

It depends on whether the purpose is to hide the media or just to make things look tidy. If it's the latter, no problem.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#8]
EH?

Sorry, but I really don't understand... I dunno if there's a misunderstanding on either of our parts or I really have lost a plot or five....

hehe ;)

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#9]
PAKmaker and its free!!!

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#10]
Sorry, but I really don't understand... I dunno if there's a misunderstanding on either of our parts or I really have lost a plot or five....

Probably my fault. All I'm saying is Blitz doesn't allow you to create music, sounds or animated models internally so you can't write your own loaders. All you can do is what Terapak does, extract them to disk, load them normally and delete them again. Which is neat and tidy, but not very secure.

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#11]
Molebox does all this.. http://www.molebox.com/
It's not free but its the best i've seen for security.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#12]
Hey, im working on a packer like this...
Its simple but quite effective so far, and even includes BZ2 compression (from the toolbox section here i beleive)
you have to create the pack, which adds files to a single PAK file. it is encrypted with a string key). Loading can be done by "loadtexture(unpak(pakname,filename,key$))"

I also tried the Terabit routines the other day and noted that it worked the same as this, so it must be a pretty good way forward!

Id suggest terapak. Easy and useful.

D4NM4N(Posted 2004) [#13]
thanks terapak is perfect