Max number of Bones.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Max number of Bones.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#1]
My artist asked me today about the MAX number of bones that Blitz can handle. As I dont know I thought id ask you lot.

Is there a Process hit on the FPS with more bones ? or is it just a matter of using as many as you like.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#2]
I *think* that the bones-per-vertex limit is 4; someone correct me if I'm wrong. If you meant max number of bones in the object, I don't know that but I'd suspect that you don't get there easily.

Also more bones will of course cause more work and slower FPS in the end... so use just minimum number of bones that get the job done. Of course it might not matter if you have just few characters on screen with less than say 32 bones per object or something... it's all bit relative.

RGR(Posted 2004) [#3]
;-

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
"Bones per vertex" refers to blended vertex weights. For smoother animation you can bind vertices to multiple bones, up to 4 but the biggest visual gain is going from 1 (rigid binding) to 2. IMO more than 3 is just a waste of processing power (vertex weights do affect framerate.)

60 bones in a single model is pretty excessive (why do you have two bones at every joint, like elbow2? and why do you need two hip bones?) but still perfectly within reason processing wise. Like he said, unless you have a LOT of bones (I'm talking thousands) your FPS will be affected a lot more by other things like polygon count, surfaces, and the binding of vertices to those bones.

RGR(Posted 2004) [#5]
;-