Avi as a Texture.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Avi as a Texture.

kalimon(Posted 2004) [#1]
Anyone here has succesfully put an avi as a texture?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
Yes, sort of. You can't apply an avi as a texture directly. However, you can have a movie playing and copy it over to the texture on an object every frame, thus getting a movie playing on the surface of an object.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#3]
yea, I have done it before, on cubes and other simple things. They would be cool to have like if you have a TV on your game then you can have Channels! kinda like the Sims do, however I think that is a gif image or a tile of images in a bitmap file.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
The overhead of applying an avi as a texture is considerable. I've never done it in a game, only for special demos like this digital art project:
http://dm.risd.edu/~jhocking/screenCity/screenCity.html

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#5]
When you are playing back the movie, and buffering that onto a texture via buffering, wouldnt the frame-rate of the program get locked onto the FPS the video plays at?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#6]
There is an example in the code archives, by rob.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#7]
@Genexi: No, because you're grabbing whatever frame the video playback happens to be at. As a result, assuming your game's framerate is greater than the video framerate, frames of the video are repeated. For example, a game running at 60 frames per second just grabs the movie buffer 60 times per second regardless of what the movie is doing.