Animated X files

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Animated X files

kalimon(Posted 2004) [#1]
A while ago, I was building X files with animations based on rigid bones (maya 4.0). LAter, they were loaded into programs in Visual Basic using the DX8 SDK. The plugin for 4.5 amd 5 does not export the animations well (crashes on export or does not export them). I Never was able to export smooth skinning.

But I think for the Blitz men to ccheck out that thing, X files aniamted are really important.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
I've not had any problems exporting smooth skinned skeletal animation to .x from Maya 5 using the plugin I got from highend3d.com (and I verify the model works by converting to b3d using Ultimate Unwrap and then playing the animation in Blitz3D!) If you are already using that export plugin then I assume you are doing something incorrectly because, like I said, it works great for me.

As for "I think for the Blitz men to ccheck out that thing," I'm guessing you mean that Blitz should support .x with skeletal animation. That makes sense, however Blitz is based on DirectX 7 and skeletal animation wasn't added until DirectX 8, so I imagine there's some issue there with supporting the DirectX 8 file format. Of course, this makes me really curious what's happening with BlitzMax.

kalimon(Posted 2004) [#3]
Tha t was a good pieceof information. Perhaps the plugin has been improved since i tested it ( October 2003)

the thing about blitz3d beig based on DX7 is also an interesting thing.

Ultimate unWrap.... now that's the thing I need about. Share please more info.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
$35 from www.unwrap3d.com and well worth the price.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#5]
http://www.unwrap3d.com/

Nice bit of softare :D very good uv unwrapp and file conversions