Heightmaps - 16bit vs 32bit

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Heightmaps - 16bit vs 32bit

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#1]
If I create a 32bit heightmap and use this in a 16bit graphics mode I've just realised that it's less smooth. Is the best way to achieve smoother transitions with the same results as 32bit mode some form of blurr function?

Does anyone have one which can blurr just one colour - I use red for heightmap, green for land type and blue for object placement.

The heightmap is a wrappable on so the blurring must wrap too.

Any other ideas welcome - prefer to use 16bit mode as it's much faster on my set up.

Cheers

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#2]
Can you do the blur in 32 bit and then reduce it to 16 bit?

IPete2.

DJWoodgate(Posted 2004) [#3]
You do not have to use an image as the final source for your heightmap data.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#4]
A height on a height map is only 8 bit. Use a (256 colour) grey scale image.

16 bit colour image has less bits on the red channel.

3 x 8 bit images uses the same memory as 1 24 bit image. So if you use grey scale images for your land types etc too then you'll be fine without the need to worry 32 bit speed problems.

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thanks Mr Farley,

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here. I'm creating the heightmaps in code so basically if I set the r/g/b to the same value for greyscale the image will take up less memory? I guess there's only one way to find out ...

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#6]
Still 192k for a 256x256 image?? Do I have to then convert this to 256 color?

Tried saving the 16bit image as 256 color in 'Paint' that comes with XP ( the picture viewer doesn't have the option) and it doesn't look right. Can't post a picture but it's not greyscale.

I'm obviously doing something wrong here - any idead .. anyone?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#7]
Don't ever ever ever run paint again. Get photoshop or paintshop pro.

That aside, I've never tried to create an 8 bit paletted image blitz, I always use paint shop pro, so no idea how to go about it.

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#8]
Yeah Rob it's complete pish!! Anyway , thanks for trying to help. I don't really do alot of graphics stuff so it's probably not worth my while buying Paintshop etc.. Anyone know of a free program that can convert a 16bit image into a 256 color version?

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#9]
pixia should do the job i think

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#10]
Probably Gimp too.