using decls

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/using decls

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#1]
Once you have a decls file in your userlibs... how do you access from your B3d program? See I have the registry decls file... no DLL for it... so I am understandably afraid to use it.

I also have a DLL for using the registry that was written for VB but that could work, couldn't it???

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#2]
The compiler checks in several locations for the dll declared in the decls file, including the location where the standard Windows API dll's are stored. In the case of the standard Windows API dll's, as far as I know, you don't need to worry about where they are, or include them in your program download.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#3]
I also have a DLL for using the registry that was written for VB but that could work, couldn't it???

Not if it was written IN VB, unless it was created with VBAdvance or similar tool that allows a vb dll to have exportable functions. And you'll need the VB runtime dll as well.

If you are using a decls file that uses standard windows API, then you don't need to worry. It's possible that some api calls could be WinXP/2000 specific, and you'll need to test that. But usually, with api calls, just compile and forget about them. With the api registry calls this should be the case.

If the decls file references a custom dll, then you need to include the dll with your program and it would probably be best to just install it into the same directory as your program. Though you could optionally place it in the system32 directory of windows. Good practice nowadays though is to place it with your program to avoid version conflicts that can arise.

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#4]
Good practice nowadays though is to place it with your program to avoid version conflicts that can arise.

Yep, AFAIK dll version conflicts were the main cause of Windows crashes (the blue screen of death) on older Windows OS's.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#5]
So fiat accompli... the only real way to have software that would make users register would be to use Armadillo or the like... See new forum.

-RZ