Texture Oblivion

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Texture Oblivion

martonic(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi! I'm starting to work with textures and am experiencing the consequences of my ignorance.

I am loading an untextured tower model (3ds) from geo-metricks, and applying a texture to it using (what else?) EntityTexture.

The trouble is that no matter what texture I use, the result is merely to color the object. I have tried a variety of "professional" texture files, tried all of the available texture blend modes, and tried scaling the textures everywhere from 0.01 to 1024, but all I get is various shades of gray (or other colors) on the surfaces.

How can I apply a texture to an entity, such that the details in the texture become visible?

Thanks for your help.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#2]
In order for textures to be displayed on models, the models have to be mapped so that there is some information of where the texture should be applied to the model. It would appear that your geo-metricks model has not been UV mapped.

www.unwrap3d.com explains more than i could and have some useful software.

martonic(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thank you! This was easier than I thought - opened file in Lithunwrap, hit "Select All", "UV-Map" (Box), "Save" and voila! now the textures work beautifully.