Weird texture problem im strugling with

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Weird texture problem im strugling with

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi there,
In a current project ive come across a very, very odd little thing, dont know if its a bug or what...
I load a texture of 512x512 (acceptable?) and apply it to a terrain as normal.. My problem is the terrain becomes seemingly totally invisible now, I thought maybe it was my own mistake but going back to an older project, i find that it too is now suffering from this weird texturing problem.

Is this a bug within the newest blitz? direct x? is my graphics card about to pop out of its socket and fly across the room by bursting through the front of my computer?

If theres any more information you require, let me know.
Absolutely ANY help apreciated here, thanks!!! ^.^

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
I had terrain texture problems with a radeon chipset card (9200se) with the orignial driver that came with the card. After updating to the latest catalyst driver from ati.com the problem was solved.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#3]
hmm. sorry, didnt think to type my specs! im on a geforce4 ti4200 with the latest nvidia drivers.... anyone else having the issue?

Also, with A newer (unnoficial) driver, alpha texturing seems to be ALOT faster, but i still have the texture problems.

Any more info you require?

Cheers

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#4]
Sorry, no idea. Did it work with an other card?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#5]
i tried it on my computer at work, and, as every game does, it restarted, so im unable to check. it does, however, appear to only be happening with blitz 1.87... yet again it could be a combination thats sorted with the next drivers etc etc...
Cheers for the help JFK. Any more ideas anyone?

Pete Rigz(Posted 2004) [#6]
Is it an alpha issue? Maybe you are loading the texture with alpha flag, and the alpha channel in the texture is all black?

N(Posted 2004) [#7]
Cygnus: I have a GeForce 3 ti200 with second-to-newest drivers. If you can e-mail me some code I can test I'll attempt to reproduce the problem. If I'm unable to reproduce it, I'll upgrade to the latest drivers and see if I get the problem then. My e-mail address is in my user info, so just click on my name.

Rigz: If there's no alpha channel 'in' the image then typically the API you're using (OpenGL/DirectX/what have you) will replace it with a pure-white channel. So I think this is more an issue with either Blitz or drivers, and I'd be more prone to think Blitz, but in this case it sounds like it's a problem with the drivers.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#8]
Rigz: I thought that, and made a little test to see, but it wasnt. what i did to test it was to create a texture, load the wanted texture into an image, then draw the image onto the texture. i also tried loading the texture, saving as a bmp, then reloading. Both did the same, no texture

Pigeon, il be sending you some code soon. Thanks for the help guys...

N(Posted 2004) [#9]
Cygnus: Recieved the example code, and I can't reproduce the problem on my current drivers (the terrain is visible and the texture is visible on the terrain as well). I'm downloading the latest drivers now, so I'll let you know how that works out and if it causes a problem.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#10]
Cool. Let me know. ive tried 2 driver versions now, both have the same issue with me. FOund out i was only running directx8 and upgraded, same issues though

Odd one this, im starting to begin to think my cards going duff. ive not had much luck with them these days!

*fingers crossed*

N(Posted 2004) [#11]
Who knows, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to reproduce the problem with the latest drivers.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#12]
i just noticed that if you load the heightmap as the texture it works!!!???

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#13]
Sorry to bring up an old topic, But, this project still has this issue and i am still unable to fix it.

Any more ideas peeps?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#14]
the heightmap works? please tell us more. what format are both images, BMP,JPG? and what's the size of the heightmap? And did you try other sizes for the texture, other than 512^2? Maybe it's a problem with the texture file?
Then again I wonder why Noel couldn't reproduce it. Did you tune your card somehow, overclocking or something?

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#15]
Have you tried updating to 1.88?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#16]
IM using 1.88 now.. the thread is about 7 months old ;)

Im away frmo source at the moment but i will play with it again soon...

Seems like the problem is with any colour map, any size, on any level (so theres no problem with the texture format im using.) I was using psp 7 to make them, are there any known issues with that?

If the texture is 8-bit though, the problem seems to go away....

There is noe thnig i have realised though; I forgot i "downgraded" to a ti4200 with 64mb ram frmo an fx5200 (slooow) but with 128mb.

il get back to you all on this.