Blitz annoyance

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz annoyance

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi!

I have a recurring problem with Blitz. When I e.g put "loading game" screen and the game loads, the game starts while the loading screen is still showing. I hear sounds, I can move, but the rendering is slow. As seconds tick, rendering gets faster slowly, until it runs at full speed (which is fast).
It doesn't happen always.

What can I do to make this go away? I know it's an abstract question, but what is the reason why Blitz starts very slowly and gradually becomes faster?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#2]
I've never experienced it ( well not beyond a fraction of a second anyway. ) Is your hard drive in need of a good defrag or something like that?

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#3]
Try putting a one second delay after your game is loaded but before it starts. This might give the computer enough time to shuffle memory around.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#4]
It is DirectX that is still finishing some tasks while your game is already running. It is cleaning and releasing some stuff it required to set up. Usually this problem is worse when you run an App the first time. The Loading is already optimized when you run it the second time in a serie.

In rare cases win98 even don't play the sounds correctly, and pauses playing which sounds real horrible. But I have seen this behaviour with professional Engines too. The only solution that I know is: play an Intro after loading the game content, play a little intro (probably without sound), mission brief, fancy screen, whatever, just give windows some time to finish some tasks, probably 5 or better 10 seconds. This only happens when you really load a whole level and the user doesn't have a big lot of ram and/or Vram, so it just fits in.