Remember Ecstatica?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Remember Ecstatica?

Doktor Zeus(Posted 2004) [#1]
...well, I'd like to recreate the quirky graphical style using rendered ellipsoids. Anyone got any ideas as to how it could be done in Blitz? I don't want to take the route of creating stretched spheres if I can avoid it, I want them to be true CSG primitive type perfect ellipsoids, otherwise it would be very hard to keep framerate up with complex models like humanoids.

Ash

N(Posted 2004) [#2]
Actually, I do remember it- fun game. As for your idea, I have no idea- it sounds like something not easily done, but plausible.

Doktor Zeus(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yes, it ought to be doable, but I get the feeling it would require entirely rewriting the 3D rendering portion of the language.

Ash

Zenith(Posted 2004) [#4]
Or just model them in a program, and save alot of head ache :)

Doktor Zeus(Posted 2004) [#5]
I wouldn't even need to do that, I could use standard blitz to create spheres and stretch them, but as pointed out before, if I wanted the ellipsoids to look smoothe up close, I'd have to use a LOT of triangles in each one, and it would be more economical and faster to make a high poly count 3D mesh in the first place. The original Ecstatica ran on an old Pentium 120MHz nicely. In blitz, using suitably detailed meshes instead of ellipsoids, it would be lucky to run on a top-end modern machine

Ash

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#6]
You can set your graphics mode to
Graphics3D 320,200,16
DirectX will show it as 320x200 but the true values will
be 640x480

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#7]
Is it possible to download a copy of Ecstatica anywhere that will run on XP? I remember really wanting to play it, before I had a PC...

Doktor Zeus(Posted 2004) [#8]
Not legally I don't think, I checked my usual abandonware sites and it's still being sold. I remember finishing Ecstatica, and having a giggle at the alternative easy ending where you got to sit around a pool with bikini-clad babes being fanned with palm leaves by big beefy and inexplicably naked male slaves... nice that they catered for female gamers too, n'est pas? Compared to this, the offical 'good' ending was rather lame and cliche'd. I still have Ecstatica II but I've never tried that on an XP system. Try contacting Psygnosis, maybe they can sell you a copy or point you to a good retailer?

Ash

Zenith(Posted 2004) [#9]
I still have my cd, works fine, not that I'm gonna send it :P, I'm merely stating that it works in XP.

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#10]
You can try hiere
http://www.the-underdogs.org/