Linepicks - do they give same result on all PCs

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Linepicks - do they give same result on all PCs

Matty(Posted 2004) [#1]
Simple question:

If I have the same mesh being used on two separate PCs, and perform a linepick against it using the same parameters on both PCs will it return the same values for Pickedy(),pickedx(),pickedz()?

Or to put it another way - do floating point calculations give the same result on different processors?

podperson(Posted 2004) [#2]
They should (plus or minus the infamous "pentium bug" ;) )

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#3]
Put up some test code using large numbers (to allow for more probability of floating point rounding issues).

Then have varius people test it. I think that most computers will return the same result but it shouldn't be relied upon.

charliex(Posted 2004) [#4]
with floating point you don't test for equality, you test with an epsilon value, so instead of saying is a=b (where a and b are floats) you'd do (a-b)<0.5 where the 0.5 is a value your games engine works with. That way you'll avoid accuracy problems.

Matty(Posted 2004) [#5]
Could people run the code below for me and send me the file as an attachment in an email to gezeder@...

Thanks

myfile=writefile("test.txt")
a#=5.0
b#=2.0
c#=3.0
for i=1 to 100
writefloat myfile,float(i)*sqr(a#*a#/float(i)+b#*b#+c#*c#*float(i))
writefloat myfile,float(i)*sin(float(i))
next
closefile myfile

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#6]
I'll just give yah the numbers

Oh, and if others just want to pust them:
a#=5.0
b#=2.0
c#=3.0
For i=1 To 100
 DebugLog Float(i)*Sqr(a#*a#/Float(i)+b#*b#+c#*c#*Float(i))
 DebugLog Float(i)*Sin(Float(i))
Next
Stop ;so you can copy/paste

N(Posted 2004) [#7]

My results.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#8]

Rhyolite(Posted 2004) [#9]
How do I put this in one of those snazzy table thingy mi jigs???

EDIT : Cheers :o)

3Ghz Pentium

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#10]

Hmmm.......the results seem to be pretty well the same (cant be arsed to do a full for-number check between sources...or let alone code one up, but they look pretty-well the same to me anyway.

Oh, btw, on an AMD Athlon XP1800+ processor here.

(psst, Rhyolite, look over here)

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#11]
For future compatibility, I wouldn't rely on this if I were you.

Matty(Posted 2004) [#12]
I would prefer to receive the numbers not in string format. I have found that Blitz does not return the same values on various pcs when they are converted to strings. So if I could just have the test.txt file and then do a file comparison on the bytes present in the file that would be appreciated.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#13]