Which File Packer do you recommend?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Which File Packer do you recommend?

Nordvall(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

I was just woundering which file packer (for Blitz 3d) you think is best...
I have used the Pack Maker by TeraBit but I find this slow but otherwise I think it works pretty nice.
Do you have any suggestion on a better packer...all the data does not need to be written to the exe file.

Thanks!

GfK(Posted 2004) [#2]
MoleBox.

Compression, encryption, include all files in EXE if you want, have a separate data file if you want, doesn't use temporary files, its fast.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
I recommend against MoleBox. I've seen tons of problems with MoleBox packed software not working. I like Terapak a lot but there are a couple other options I haven't tried yet in the Toolbox, like BBCruncher. Look under File Utilities.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#4]
I recommend against MoleBox. I've seen tons of problems with MoleBox packed software not working.
I haven't seen or heard of a single problem with it. Can you point out some specific examples?

Warren(Posted 2004) [#5]
I wish someone could clear out the cloud of doubt around MoleBox. I've heard stories about it being so horrible, and then other developers pop up and say it's 100% reliable and they've never heard of a single problem, ever.

Anyone have any real data to present beyond "I heard from a friend who knew a guy who worked on a game..."?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#6]
If you Search for "molebox" in Blitz Showcase you'll see several problems with MoleBox. Most are due to incompatibilities with various parts of DirectX (music, online play, etc.) These are known problems too, since someone was told when they contacted Molebox's support email that it does not work with DirectPlay and stuff.

Nordvall(Posted 2004) [#7]
I downloaded the trial version and it worked like a charm;)

@jhocking: Wouldn't MoleBox be quite more tested by the users than Terapak?

Nordvall(Posted 2004) [#8]
I know a tool called th-install (www.thinstall.com) but it costs like $1475...however it doesn't use temp files either.

martonic(Posted 2004) [#9]
I'm using Molebox plus innoSetup (which is free) for a demo game that (so far) has a 1.5Mb executable plus a 6Mb graphics file plus a 6Mb sounds file. In my experience, Molebox is great. Powerful, flexible, and FAST.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#10]
Being more tested is irrelevant since there are known incompatibilities with DirectX. These aren't things they think work but don't, they are things the Molebox guys already know don't work. I assume all their additional testing is why these problems are known, but that doesn't change the fact that the problems exist.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#11]
I purchased molebox. My photoshop 6 is temporarily messed up after running a molebox-packed app. THis is pretty annoying since I cannot turn off the computer normally, I got to use the reset button and run scandisk at the next bootup. I told the molebox team bout this. They tried to reproduce this with photoshop on the same OS, without success. From hundreds of people who tried my demos, only a very few had problems. More of them had problems with things like Multitexturing etc.

And there is also a good support. When there is a problem, they really try to solve it. At the cost of <1% of User-incompatibility it protects my media and that's worth the troubles IMHO.

JoeRetro(Posted 2004) [#12]
I've used Molebox in the past for my game which endured over 30,000 downloads and I only received one complaint from a user reporting the game would not start successfully.

As jfk stated above <1% of user-incompatibility is worth protecting your valuable assets.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#13]
Terabit Paker -

IPete2.

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#14]
everyone is saying that molebox is not working right. people are just saying what other people are saying, and so forth.

The latest Molebox Pro version is very compatible.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#15]
Yes, indeed I didn't even use the latest version, so maybe my personal problem with photoshop is now solved.

Nikko(Posted 2007) [#16]
Just an update about Molebox, they crash the AMD dual core processor (immediate reboot).
Stay away... I had to re-package all my software now!

nrasool(Posted 2007) [#17]
Hey Nikko, Have you emailed the Molebox saying this? They pretty fast at replying back to you, just give them alot of information and your pc spec, and hopefully they could recreate and fix the problem

Mustang(Posted 2007) [#18]
http://www.molebox.com/support.shtml

popcade(Posted 2007) [#19]
>Molebox, they crash the AMD dual core processor

I've made some test on machines with AMD dual core, not replicatable yet, I want to confirm:

1.What version(std/pro) of MoleBox, and build number.
2.The packing configuration.
3.computer spec.

And please don't pack these with MoleBox if you're using:
1.WinMM
2.ChangeDir
3.ShellExecute

They just not working, but others are fine.