Inverse Kinimatics - b3d

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Inverse Kinimatics - b3d

Danny(Posted 2004) [#1]
Does anyone know of any sample/info or resources to do inverse kinimatics in blitz with B3D models?!

any pointers appreciated,
Danny.

Danny(Posted 2004) [#2]
no one? :(

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#3]
It's a fairly complex topic. You could probably do somthing like inverse kinimatics without too much difficulty with tokamak (0 gravity and allow user to more around an object jointed to other object).

However, here is a good article on realtime iterative ik - http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_ik.htm (this guy's site is fantastic as well) It is actually using a similar method to what tokamak would be doing, but perhaps more reliable.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#4]
Not sure quite what you are asking here Danny.

I think IK is normally set up in the modeller for example 3DS Max - you could try looking at Pacemaker or Character Shop (both available in one form or another and both export to B3d) the other item which may shed some light on this for you is the BVH import code which has recently resurfaced.

As bot says above - Tokamak may be a good way forward.

You'll need to search the forums Im afraid.

IPete2.

Danny(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thanks IPete,

The thing is that I want to do real-time IK in blitz - in stead of 'baking animation in the b3d file' and playing animation-sequences at runtime.

I would like to have a 'hand pivot' that I can move to a location wich would automatically solve & rotate the upper-arm/lower-arm/hand bones accordingly..

I'm actually looking for a bit of (simple) code that can help me started. I've found articles on the ik-math's and all that but that's unfortunately way over my head :(

I'll check out that link you gave me.
Cheers mate!

Danny

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#6]
Danny,

I just checked out the site which Bot pointed at - it looks like a starting point for thinking this through.

You'll need to apply the ideas in B3d but that should not e too difficult.

Tokamak already has 'restricted hinging' built in and the demos show how to achieve this, so that is a definate place to look for related code. Make sure you get all the components for Tokamak if you go that way.

I know a couple of demos have been posted in the past which demonstrate the hand pivot holding a gun and moving arms and top of body - I believe Halo posted this demo a long while back.

IPete2.

Danny(Posted 2004) [#7]
Thanx,

Yes I do want it to work via Tokamak - since everything in my ""game"" is Tokamaxed. Basically I would like to create procedural animation together with ragdoll physics...

I'm checking out that math right now, looks cool.

Cheers All,
D.