Blitz3D cannot load x files exported from 3ds max

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz3D cannot load x files exported from 3ds max

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#1]
Using the Panda .x exporter for 3ds max 6, Blitz3D can only load .x files that hold no material data.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
Why are you trying to get .x files from 3D Studio Max to Blitz? Why not 3ds, or better yet use B3D Pipeline to export b3d file format.

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2004) [#3]
Hey guys,

Sorry to butt in, on another topic at that, but I've had similiar problems with loading .x files into b3d. Only I've been using TrueSpace instead of 3D Studio Max? It seems that the model would load, but the mateirals or textures wouldn't load with them?

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#4]
The 3DS format loses smoothing.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#5]
something ur doing wrong.As I tested in trial 6 for certain stuff an dit worked.

Panda exporter has a load of setting to tweak...

hmm...check material names...try em not to beguin with numbers... rename them if so.

Is like x format is a bit picky in that, as most engine or viewer code for it...

For example, blender x exporter needs the bones to have other than the standard names (Bone.001, Bone.002) for the "." stuff...

I think if u just assign an UVW unwrap (DO SO) to the object, and asign it a texture via material editor, as bitmap type of material it actually then works...

but for what I am told, it perfectly support much more advanced stuff (2 chanels, etc)
just i say as I'd do in case I needed to spot th eproblem in a certain arty export workflow.

Start with minimal, and go adding the dangerous stuff till u catch the "offending" thing...

u see, artists methods are the same than coders methods, at the end... (joke)

And btw, if some of the adivices I gave u worked, please, tell here, I kindda collect problems with that exporter, as my trial ended, and yet I am asked too often about it, as is a very complex format and that exporter pretends to export every little thing, so , more error posibilities...

If u say if that solved, I will have a new workaround more... ;) though i think I have already told this somewhere...I mean, i should nknow the solution, I just don't remember.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#6]
oh, and the 3ds format not only looses smoothing ...but also other things...vertex colors (can be exported in x) , bones, weights, material names can be more than 8 letters, and can't have shared UVs (and that last one is a real problem)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#7]
.x also loses some of that stuff (or rather, Blitz does not support that stuff in .x file format) so use b3d. There is a b3d exporter for 3D Studio Max available in Specs and Utils.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#8]
Yeah, the only problem with that is very few CShop users use Blitz, and I wanted a more common file format for static meshes.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#9]
Use B3D format internally and convert x to and from.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#10]
I guess Paul will be writing a Load B3D plugin for DBPro!