why loadtexture not working for me?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/why loadtexture not working for me?

ryan scott(Posted 2004) [#1]
i am new with 3d

Graphics 640,480
p2=LoadImage("texturetest.jpg")
DrawImage p2,0,0

works fine

but in the same code

(after graphics 3d and all that jazz)

p2=LoadTexture("texturetest.jpg")
EntityTexture ter,p2

it says 'texture does not exist' (the terrain does exist)

is there something special about loadtexture i don't understand? i don't know how to get information about what is wrong. i tried a bmp instead of jpg. that didn't work. the jpg is stored 'baseline' with no preview, compression level 6. nothing special that i can see.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#2]
Texture size might be not supported.

While images are not hardware bound, the texture has to fullfill your hardware support.

- 2^x x 2^x meassures like 128x128 etc
- not larger than 512x512

ryan scott(Posted 2004) [#3]
erk, how do i know what to do, what to check?

i just tried a 3d beginners tutorial from Ray Diaz, and i'm getting something similar:

Texture does not exist

for:
cube_tile = LoadTexture("Floor.jpg")
floor1 = CreateCube()
ScaleEntity floor1,8,0.06,13
ScaleTexture cube_tile,.5,.5

but works fine for

ter_tex = LoadTexture("mossyground.bmp")
EntityTexture terrain,ter_tex

I'm using a matrox parhelia (3 monitor) setup.

i am completely lost as to what to do here.

thanks for any help!

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#4]
is the texture in the same folder as the source file?

ryan scott(Posted 2004) [#5]
yes, and other textures seem to work, just not all of them. this might be why sometimes software doesn't work for me, just crashes for no known reason.
?

maybe my graphics card? matrox parhelia 3 monitors do you think that has something to do with it, and how can i figure it out? and is there a workaround?

i would happily buy 3 graphics cards to run my 3 monitors if that's going to solve it - the parhelia is kind of slow nowadays. (I cannot give up the 3 monitor setup though!)

ryan scott(Posted 2004) [#6]
i tried some demos in the blitz3d samples folder, and most work, but for example i get 'texture does not exist' for birdie/Quick Deform/qd.bb as it tries to load bl3d_big.jpg, the blitz3d logo.

so clearly there's something wrong with my setup - but when i'm writing a game how am i going to make sure that most people can play it and won't have problems? what textures should i avoid? clearly birdie didn't realize some computers would have trouble with this texture - how is the author to know?

also got a complaint on this:

bush = LoadSprite("bush2.tga",4)
PositionEntity bush, 90,6,135

i am not sure what tga files are yet, but it cannot be good that i'm getting these errors.

i just tried it on my laptop, a toshiba satellite, and it works fine.

is it possible my graphics card is simply crap and i need to get new ones? i am running matrox parhelia 128, should i just get the martox parhelia 256, could that possibly solve it?
(ps:i updated my drivers - it made it worse! i've since rolledback)