cube-mapped water?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/cube-mapped water?

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#1]
I'm thinking about ways to do water effects in games, and I suppose the best method I have thought of is having a bumpy surface with a cube map on it. This bumpy surface is best achieved with normal mapping, but is also, most of the time, unnecessary. Is there a way to "trick" the cubemapping system in blitz into thinking that a part of a mesh is at an angle which it is not? Now that I look at this again, would this be necessary?

puki(Posted 2004) [#2]
I assume you are talking about having water ripples and waves. I suppose, technically, it could be coded in without requiring a 'bumpy' surface. However, the 'bumpy' surface idea would be very nice for incoming water (where water meets land), such as on a beach - you could just cycle the surface in a loop (like a conveyer belt). Better still how about a bit of pixel shading - but then Blitz doesn't seem to support that.

"Rob" probably knows.

Synchronist(Posted 2004) [#3]
"I'm thinking about ways to do water effects in games..."

Bro, if you come up with a system that works well, looks fairly realistic and doesn't eat-up the CPU, you'd make a mint. I've been working on a dynamic water surface for over a year now, and I'm STILL working on it! 8^)

It's a tough nut to crack...

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#4]
Bro, if you come up with a system that works well, looks fairly realistic and doesn't eat-up the CPU, you'd make a mint. I've been working on a dynamic water surface for over a year now, and I'm STILL working on it! 8^)

Really CodeMeister, you think I should sell that too then?My latest has been finished for half a year now, it uses a highly optimized C DLL just like the voxels, very fast, very efficient, I could have a demo of it out as soon as I get home, or just add it to the voxel demo. Otherwise you'd have to wait for Storm, it includes this system as a standard feature, you can create a fully physics enabled liquidplane as easy as you'd create and texture a regular plane in blitz today.

puki(Posted 2004) [#5]
Show it off "RetroBooster" - people might be interested in it.

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#6]
Sure, I'll drop a notice when I release whichever demo I decide to put it in.

Synchronist(Posted 2004) [#7]
Sure RB! I think one of the most elusive and hard to code effects is a convincing water surface. I've been working on a WWII naval warfare sim on and off for a year and I've never quite gotten water to look the way I want.

If your water code is integrated with Storm, that's cool too, as that engine looks to have a bunch of great features. It would be icing on the cake.

IMHO, I would suggest your release a "tech demo" to showcase your water effects and go ahead and include it in Storm, if you're so inclined. 8^)

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#8]
Oh I saw your system RB. It sounds pretty cool :D