Bullet hole in human figures

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Bullet hole in human figures

nivek(Posted 2004) [#1]
How do I create a bullet hole in a in a human (or humanoid) figure mesh?

Thanks

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
You could position a sprite with a bullet hole on his body. Just use AlignToVector (+ rotate it 180 degs) to align it right, then parent it to the Mesh.

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#3]
...or re-texture the character by determin where the bullet did impact the body. Could be hard, I never tried this myself, but it saves some sprites.

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#4]
jeroen: your idea, iirc, will only work if the character texture is applied with the mask flag. Im sure he doesn't want a black hole there, he wants a hole. You cant change the alpha of textures in blitz (that I know of) so you'd have to apply the character texture with the mask flag, and draw on a black oval possibly.

With jfk's way.. thats going to results in a black dot again, not a hole. Unless... the sprite is textured by doing a copyrect at the bullet impact point, onto the sprites texture. Although with this way you'l need to update every bullet hole every loop - that's slow!

A true bullet hole would need some CSG operations - well just one. There is code in the code archives explaining and demonstrating this :) Have fun ^_^

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#5]
True cgs bullets isn't really required unless your game looks so astounding, the lack of it will break the suspension of disbelief.

Put a bullet-hole/some blood splatters etc..No one will mark your work because of it, it's just common sense not to be so detailed with the slow ass pcs we've got..

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#6]
aaah I thought Nivek ment a "black hole". Okay, indeed CSG operations would be required to make a real hole. Note that the modeller should keep that in mind when modelling the character.

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#7]
I'd recommend Tony's idea. Just get something like Lotus and stick a blood emitter there :)

WarpZone(Posted 2004) [#8]
If you really, really wanted it to look like a gory flesh wound, you could even do it with two parented sprites- one for the red splatter where ther bullet hit, and then a normal map layer over that to make it look all rough and 3D-looking.

The problem with this type of effect, other than the fact that you'll have to code it yourself, is that it doesn't always look realistic.