sprite or entity

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/sprite or entity

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#1]
I am writnig a game... I know... shock and amazement that ANYONE on this forum would be writing a game... ;]

BUT

I am writing an othello game. I have had a lot of very well intentioned advice... a lot of very good advice though sometimes the two types of advice aren't the same...

So I took WolRons advice to heart and recoded the game the way I know how.

It works... after a fashion.

I am currently using mesh entitys to represent the pieces and all the squares on the board.

When a legal move is selected the game puts the new piece color info in the correct location of the array... GOOD

Then the setupboard() plunks the pieces down on the screen.

But I don't know how to delete the old peices before it does this so the old pieces still remain and you can't really see the new piece.

I thought of hideentity... but where to start...

Should I just use sprites??? I don't want to use sprites! They don't look as good.

EDIT::: Sorry about forgetting the end statement to codebox there!

Rhyolite(Posted 2004) [#2]
If you wish to update your board from the array each time, why not place a piece (entity/mesh) at each board position and hide the ones you do not want to see. Show piecies (entities) that you do want to display and set thier colour accordingly (or use two meshes at each location).

Rhy Out

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#3]
That is an interesting idea... I could also just use one mesh and change the color...