Screen Refresh Rates

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Screen Refresh Rates

JBR(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello, when I change the mode in my desktop I can adjust the refresh rate from 60Hz upto 85Hz.

In my game I use CreateTimer & WaitTimer to achieve a rate of 30 frames per second.

Ideally I'd like blitz to start my program in a 60Hz mode so that my 30fps matches up. (i.e. flip every 2nd frame).

Is there a way to force blitz to choose the 60Hz mode?
Or should I not be worried?

Any help appreciated
Marg

Graythe(Posted 2004) [#2]
If the monitor's refresh is set to 60hz (for the display
mode that Blitz starts in) then that is the max refresh that Blitz can maintain. Remember that whatever you code will have to work on other systems that will probably be set up differently.

Using the tweening technique in the `castle demo` will allow greater control over refresh rates and will minimise the visual impacts of slowdown to maintain an overall smoother performance at runtime.

Rhyolite(Posted 2004) [#3]
...and I find the tutorials at http://www.blitzcoder.com/ very useful as you (Marg) are touching on a very large subject. Navigate to the Tutorials from right hand side panel and look for

Blitz3D Intermediates: Smart frame limiting for 3D using the Tween option of RenderWorld

but you may need to do some other reading/searches to understant whats going on (I certainly did - ooohh, my head hurts all over again just thinking about it). Do some searches on 'tween' and 'delta' on this and the blitzcoder forum.

Rhy Out

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#4]
>Is there a way to force blitz to choose the 60Hz mode?

To answer that directly, no there isn't. It is possible to set the refresh rate through directX, but many, many graphics cards will ignore this completely, anyway. And people don't like it (if done incorrectly, there is a possibility it could damage your monitor).

So every PC game has to instead come up with some way of managing a variable refresh rate, which is a pain, but it can be overcome (see above).

JBR(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thanks guys, I'll have a look at using Tween.

Thanks
Marg

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#6]
Is there a way to force blitz to choose the 60Hz mode?

Yes.

Or should I not be worried?

It's more trouble than it's worth.

Be warned that tweening can cause undersirable results under particular circumstances, but since you're a newbie, it's probably best you learn the hard way ;]

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#7]
Also be warned that 60 hz moniter refresh rate is to slow and can cause headaches and bad eyesight. :P It's true, go for 80hz

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#8]
bla
every laptop has 60hz, most good tft as well
only with non tft you will get headaches because of 60hz

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#9]
Laptops LCD monitors use a 'virtual' refresh rate though, don't they?

If this is the case then a 'real' 60 hertz refresh rate on a conventional monitor (the proper name escapes me) is an entirely different state of affairs.

I know that the 60 hertz rate on my conventional monitor was extremely annoying as it caused noticable flicker in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Almo(Posted 2004) [#10]
Yeah. I live in the UK, and hate the 50Hz PAL over here. People say you can't tell the difference between 50 and 60, they're full of it!

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#11]
I perfer the delta time approach for framerate independent code. Those are the two main methods: render tweening and delta time. Both have ups and downs; choose whichever makes more sense to you.

Graythe(Posted 2004) [#12]
jhocking,

Wot's this `Delta Time` thang all about then? And where can I get it to try it? Any help for the Klingon?

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#13]
Check out the tutorials over at http://www.blitzcoder.com/ . There's some gamespeed regulation stuff in there.

Graythe(Posted 2004) [#14]
Well, I had a look and did learn a couple of things about tweening (like what it does!:)) but I couldn't see anything specific to 'delta' time?

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#15]
Try this link:-

http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/articles/show_article.pl?f=gamemorduun03212002.html

Graythe(Posted 2004) [#16]
Aaah! Many thanks!