OBJ loader ??

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/OBJ loader ??

ZombieWoof(Posted 2004) [#1]
Has anyone done an OBJ loader yet ?? Or know of a good command line OBJ to X/3DS/B3D (pick one) converter ??

I've got my export issues from Poser resolved, but the result is OBJ and so far am having zero luck getting a clean conversion from OBJ to any of x/3ds/b3d using 3d exploration or milkshape... keep losing all or part of the texturing along the way.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
I recommend Ultimate Unwrap from file format conversions. That only costs $35 from www.unwrap3d.com

I haven't really tested this so I can't vouch for it, but a free converter I know of is Crossroads3D. Or use Wings3D; it can import obj and export 3ds.

Synchronist(Posted 2004) [#3]
"...keep losing all or part of the texturing along the way."

Are exporting UV co-ords along with the .obj data?

I'd second jhocking, UU3D is the way to go... I just registered and it's worth every cent... CrossRoads, while a good converter in it's own right and free, has aged and seems to have some problems with clean export.

I've done a lot of research getting my content chain in order and UU3D is simply the best converter out there for the money. Now, if you've got deep pockets, there's always Deep Paint 3D and Deep UV...

ZombieWoof(Posted 2004) [#4]
The OBJ file is perfect :) loads and displays correcly in both 3D Exploration and 3DSMax.

Crossroads mangled the mesh just loading it, Ultimate Unwrap is still trying to load the model after 20 minutes of banging swap

I've got deep pockets once a month :) but not all that deep :)

ZombieWoof(Posted 2004) [#5]
UU3D finally loaded it and got me clean exports in X and B3D with correct texturing -- thanks for reminding me it could be used that way :)

Just gotta run it on the big machine, my laptop doesnt have the ram :)