Slider control for AVIs

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Slider control for AVIs

Faz(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi

I'm writing an educational program, and I need to be able to use a slider to move through the AVI movies I have made.

The movies are located at specific x y

Is this possible?

Hope you can help

sswift(Posted 2004) [#2]
No. Not unless you write your own DLL to play AVI's with DirectMedia or Video or Show or whatever it's called.

You could also decode video yourself, but that really limits you to using poor compression schemes like RLE encoding, and software playback with no scaling.

Faz(Posted 2004) [#3]
thanks sswift

Are there any video formats that I can move through using a slider control, I need this function badly.

Thanks

sswift(Posted 2004) [#4]
Actually I was a little mistaken when I said you couldn't do that. I forgot that I'd written this:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=33476

CopperCircle paid me to write it and he released it for free. Don't ask me for support though. :-)

It may not work on all AVI's. It may not work on all PC's. It should work on all PC's, but there were some glitches with certain commands. For example, playing back at different speeds worked differently on different cards.

Should work for your needs though. Unfortunately for CopperCircle, it didn't do what he thought it would when he paid me to write it.... ie, allow one to adjust brightness and contrast. The MCI documentation Microsoft provides was confusing about that and I still am not sure if any system supports the "overlay" those commands supposedly apply to.

Faz(Posted 2004) [#5]
Superb Thank you. I'll try it and let you know.