Is this too much for this engine or too slow cpu?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Is this too much for this engine or too slow cpu?

Nordvall(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

I have created a model separated into 6 parts where 4 parts have bones. I have then created one animation that has 100 frames. When animating the model I animate each part using the animate instruction.

This model has:
Faces: 30 + 221 + 30 + 30 + 46 + 39 = 396
Vertices: 26 + 129 + 21 + 21 +26 + 22 = 245

When using 10 clones on a Pentium 800 Geforce 2 the speed is about 10 fps which isn't acceptable...:(
When I use hideentity it runs at 75 fps all the time, but then the models aren't there...

Do you have any clue why the models are killing the framerate so much? Thanks in advance

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
The face count is fine, what's the surface count?

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#3]
posting an example may help people answer this.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#4]
When you say "4 parts have bones" do you mean each of the four parts has one bone? Or are there more bones than that?

Nordvall(Posted 2004) [#5]
@Rob Farley: I don't know how to get the surface count...please tell me

@Sybixsus: All 4 parts have 4 bones each;)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#6]
How many textures/materials are you using?

Use the countsurfaces command on each entity.

Nordvall(Posted 2004) [#7]
@Rob Farley: I used one texture for all parts. The texture is jpg and the size is 512x512.
When using the countsurfaces on each entity I get 1.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#8]
Are the 6 parts seperate entities?

Big&(Posted 2004) [#9]
I had slowdown when I exported a character that was divided into several parts but was animated by one set of bones. The exporter seemed to export a full set of bones for every separate part of the body. So it looked like blitz was running about 6 sets of bones for one character, which is a large workload when you think of all the vertices involved.

When I re-did the character to be fully skinned, it ran as I expected.

I was only doing part-segmented characters so I could shoot stuff off them. It was just as easy to make several skinned models with bits blown off, with a minimal memory hit..

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#10]
4 parts x 4 bones x 10 clones = 160 bones. That's quite a lot of bones, but even so, probably not enough to cause the slowdown. I do think it's bone related though, so Big&'s explanation sounds good.

Nordvall(Posted 2004) [#11]
Thanks a lot guys;)

@Rob Farley: The model is divided into 6 child entities. It is only one b3d file.

I did remove the bones when exporting the model to b3d. It runs much better now, but I still want bone animation...

@Big&: How did you re-do the character to be fully skinned? Do you mean like a full set of bones for the entire model? What I have is 4 sets of bones for each part.

Big&(Posted 2004) [#12]
@Nordvall
Just that the character is now just one mesh. No seperate model for the arms or the legs. Then there is just one set of bones for the enitre character, like a skeleton. Just how you would do a MD3 mesh.

Nordvall(Posted 2004) [#13]
@Big&: ok thanks for your help! ;)