Video memory access

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Video memory access

kochOn(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi!
is everyone know if there s a way to access video memory
like the use of banks ?
I m writting 2D functions that need to act with alpha,
so i ve put each images i use in a bank to accelerate reading of pixels but Reading and Writing of pixels to the video are too slow

please Help (if you can)

Kochon ;)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
Some people used to hack their way to some adresses, some time ago. But this is highly untested and might work only on some machines. There is no official way to access the videoram directly. In Blitzplus there might be some faster methods for 2D videoram access.

kochOn(Posted 2004) [#3]
thanks jfk so i will wait for a future Blitz update ( mark will maybe write a function to do this later ...)

DrakeX(Posted 2004) [#4]
about the closest you'll get is using LockBuffer and ReadPixelFast and WritePixelFast. :|

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#5]
How about turning it all in to Pixie Sprites and then use the 3D engine? this way you get the alpha FX using your videocards hardware?

kochOn(Posted 2004) [#6]
Thanks but i know that.

I only want a 2D access for those who want to make strictly 2D apps or games.

Lock and UnlockBuffer() are not as fast as i would like!

May be someone could create a dll to make possible an access to the videoram (or may be mark will release it one day) ;)

Thanks!

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#7]
There are a set of functions in Blitz+ that allow you to access an image buffer directly so you can peek and poke to it, you can't really get any faster than that ;)

It was also discovered that with some hacking the same effect can be done in blitz3d but it's not 100% as it's a hack. Look on Blitzcoder for Lockedpixels functions by Andreas Blixt.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#8]
I noticed on WinXP if you WritePixelFast to a negative y axis you write directly onto the desktop buffer :D Not exactly what your looking for though I take it. Perhaps you could write directly to the front or back buffer. Maybe the backbuffer() / frontbuffer() commands return the actual memory addresses.

ZJP(Posted 2004) [#9]
Look here
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=34301

@+

kochOn(Posted 2004) [#10]
Looking at the Blitz Coder,
try to download the LockedPixels functions
but have a broken link.
Is someone else got those functions or similars ?

Thanks!