sprite overkill

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/sprite overkill

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#1]
I was thinking of usig sprites as volumetric fog type of thing... Simple ground area cloud cover... not a lot of sprites... maybe 1000???

But I begin to wonder

If I use spheres and texture them with a PNG mesh (you know alphaed) and roatat them randomly.

Which do y'all think would run slower???

-RZ

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#2]
hah. I think in this situation sprites are the way to go. I've seen this technique in games before so it works if implemented right.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#3]
maybe better watch out for a single surface particles solution. Personally I prefere to use few big sprites with detailed gfx, scaling and rotating it.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#4]
I was looking at the toolbbox and I found this code under misc I think. It had an orange ball and you could move the ball around and disrupt the fog.

I started wondering if it would work in 3D. So I changed the code (it was public domain after all) and made a VERY SIMPLE pic for the fog sprite.

I made a Greyscale BMP with essentially 2 colors... 0,0,0 and 11,11,11 the 11,11,11 pattern was just sprayed in a cloud shape. (I love PS8!)

then I ran it... looks good.

The original code had a FPS limiter but I kind of hacked that out. Try it!

I only added my graphic and movement commands... it is a flythrough for now but the one I did with terrainmap works well... Now to try it without TWEEN ;)
-RZ