Read from anywhere in memory?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Read from anywhere in memory?

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#1]
Is there a way to read from any spot written to memory by any other program? A dll perhaps?

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#2]
Write an Operating System?

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#3]
I just got it! I could use the blitzSys dll (or another one) to read from the clipboard, and then another thing in whatever other language to write to it.
I just need to know: Does the clipboard write to RAM or the hard drive?

DrakeX(Posted 2004) [#4]
or you could just make a DLL to read/write anywhere ;)

but on anything newer than a 286 there is something called "protected mode" which means you can only read/write in parts of memory reserved for that program. and if you write anywhere else you get a memory access violation. THAT'S what causes those fatal program errors in windows ;)

but if you're just trying to access.. say, a memory block some other userlib has created, that's entirely possible (and easy).

so what do you want to do?

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#5]
You could just use some UDP commands.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#6]
Basically I want to stream video info from another totally different program in the fastest way possible. So I guess the best possible method is a userlib...

Now for learning c#

JOY!

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#7]
check out purebasic. it's very fast and can easily make .dlls userlibs. A lot easier than C++. You can even use direct mmx functions which is designed for speeding multimedia stuff..sse too.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#8]
I'll look into (translation: buy) purebasic once I go on my well anticipated spending spree in which I would buy everything that exists which I want.
Actually, I may very well get a demo and try it out, then buy it with money.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#9]
then buy it with money.

OT: Lol, that has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever said.

Tom(Posted 2004) [#10]
Not really, if you were in the middle east, maybe you could pay with camels? :P

Tom