Xbox

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Xbox

David819(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi, I was wandering if there is any way to program in blitz3d for the xbox? (even if it means creating a exe file format for the xbox/

John Pickford(Posted 2004) [#2]
Nope.

David819(Posted 2004) [#3]
could it be possible if i got the specs of the executable file off the microsoft site and created it that way, or would i need c++ to do so?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#4]
Blitz doesn't work on the Xbox. The Xbox has specific hardware, and you program for it, that's why you can get so much more out of what is effectivly a fairly low spec PC. However, I'm sure you could apply for an Xbox SDK I think they come at a fairly resonable cost considering the return you can potentially reap.

ZombieWoof(Posted 2004) [#5]
Goob -- The xbox has a lot of special API calls that dont exist anyplace but in the XBOX sdk, and the xbox will NOT run any app designed for the stock DirectX API -- mostly because of signifigant differences in the DirectInput system (and just plain forget anything like the win32 stick interface working as is !!)

Getting a legit copy of the xbox sdk is AFAIK only possible if you have a contract with a publisher certified by MicroSlop, but once you have that (perhaps by doing a demo for the PC, then getting a publisher to take the product), then it shouldnt be too horribly difficult to do DLLs to hook the xbox specific APIs into Blitz.

I dont believe there are any drastic differences in the Direct3D and DirectSound system that would stop the majority of a blitz app from working as is.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#6]
I think it's very possible for a windows to xbe converter to be wrote.

if only because there already is a xbox .exe to windows .exe converter(That not only works, lets you play halo perfectly(afaik, my pc is too slow))..

so it's only a reversal of this process. I guess it's just a case of hoping mark doesn't rely on too many non-xbox-compatible calls.(I.e ones that have nothing to compile down into to)

as for the xbox sdk it's basically visual C++ and a bunch of badly put together tools from what I can gather...;) You're not missing out on much.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2004) [#7]
Interesting Stuff, have a look at this http://www.hydras-world.com/index.php?page=xboxretailtodebug

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#8]
This is a fascinating topic... what next??? B3D to CELLULAR??? ;)
-RZ

John Pickford(Posted 2004) [#9]
It could perhaps be written, but it certainly won't be wrote.

ZombieWoof(Posted 2004) [#10]
@otacon: the sdk is a tweaked DirectX + a bunch of console specific API for dealing with save games, the game pads, and other stuff

if you actually plan to run the game on the box, you gotta be aware of the API :)

big10p(Posted 2004) [#11]

I think it's very possible for a windows to xbe converter to be wrote.

Yeah, you could call it "A Windows to xbe converter what I wrote".

*Ernie Wise rolls in grave* :P

Tiggertooth(Posted 2004) [#12]
For the record, the XBox Development Kit is a terrific kit, and certainly the easiest to develop for. The tools are very good, particularly when compared to PlayStation. I'm not a Microsoft fan, but they did a very good job putting together the platform for XBox developers. Big thumbs up there.

You're not going to be able to convert Blitz to XBox in a useful way I don't think. You could mod your XBox and be able to compile to it. But that's a big difference between converting a Win32 executable into an XBox executable. Even if you solved that, it would only be a cool factor. There's no way to release such a beast. But hey, sometimes it is worth doing things just for the joy of seeing if it is possible :-)

Ken

ZombieWoof(Posted 2004) [#13]
sure you can release it -- once you get an MS certified publisher :)

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#14]
From a business standpoint (can't comment on the technical) it certainly seems more feasable now that Microsoft are snapping up the cream of PC shareware for their Xbox live thing.

Interesting to see how that turns out for those involved (no blitz games in the pipeline for xbox conversion afaik). All games have taken the official xbox conversion route, with those doing the porting being licensed.

John Pickford(Posted 2004) [#15]
Obviously the most likely route (and not THAT unlikely) is that MS talk to Mark and there's a version of Blitz that compiles for Xbox.

I suspect an .exe converter is NOT impossible but it's probably not easy and a likely a waste of energy.