Strange...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Strange...

REDi(Posted 2004) [#1]
I am writing a landscape app that exports to b3d, when I load the b3d model into blitz it looks perfect alpha blended land layers, sky ect all looks fine, but the loaded model says it has no children and only one surface! (the sky)

If I free the entity the sky disappears but the landscape doesn't, any ideas what I've done wrong? (I'll post b3d file if needed)

BTW I did load it with LoadAnimMesh()

Thanks in advance.

REDi(Posted 2004) [#2]
B3D model and textures was here, but now I've removed the link ;)

REDi(Posted 2004) [#3]
Bump

Has ne1 come across this problem before?

Braneloc(Posted 2004) [#4]
Fascinating !

Looks like you have exported two objects in one somehow.

Blitz only recognises the sky(in an animmesh) - hence the sky moves when you tell it to, and vanishes when you tell it to - but the landscape does not. The landscape is not even being added to the entity system(though it is added to the rendersystem), hence it being orphaned, uncontrollable and visible.

Loading as a normal mesh(or into UU3D), it loads the other way round... and plays with the landscape nicely, but seems to be ignoring the sky !

Your mesh also crashes blitz a little bit...

I suggest you look very carefully at your exporter with intense suspicion. If the mesh was saved correctly it would collapse into one (on LoadMesh) with no problems.

You may get better results exporting two totally seperate objects(seperate files works), or one object with multiple surfaces than experimenting with object children.

REDi(Posted 2004) [#5]
Yeah it's very odd!

There are actualy three meshs to the landscape, so all three are being orphaned, but I can't get why this is happening.

Here's the exporter functions... (if anyones interested)

Braneloc(Posted 2004) [#6]
Ok, I see what you are doing.

You are setting up the nodes as siblings, rather than children, in other words multiple root nodes, which I don't seem to remember blitz supporting.

If you write a "root" node, then have everything as children to that node, you may have better success. You'll still need to run findchild on the sky to move it seperately.

REDi(Posted 2004) [#7]
Thanks Braneloc, now I get it...
NODE
   MESH
   NODE
      MESH
   ENDNODE
ENDNODE

Instead of
NODE
   MESH
ENDNODE