3D character rotating related 2D mouse pointer

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3D character rotating related 2D mouse pointer

Akat(Posted 2004) [#1]
do you guys still remember 'gyroman'... who did the demo? can i get the codes, or else can u guys show me how to rotate the character in 3d space related to the position of 2d mouse pointer on the screen? any idea?

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#2]
You need to put the character above a mesh, createplane() will do fine. Make that mesh pickable.

Now use camerapick() with mousex() and mousey() and positionentity a pivot at pickedx(), pickedy() and pickedz().

Now pointentity your character at the pivot.

Cheers,

Ryan

big10p(Posted 2004) [#3]
Are planes pickable? I seem to remember they're not but I could be wrong. :)

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#4]
I'm not at home so I can't test it but I don't see why they shouldn't be? Just set the entitypickmode and it should be fine.

If not, use a terrain, they're definitely okay. Or make a quad and scale it out as big as you need, etc.

Cheers,

Ryan

Akat(Posted 2004) [#5]
yup... greatly done... thanqs guys

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#6]
I did Gyroman. Unfortunately the download is borked right now. You're welcome to try, and let me know if it works:
www.moondoggieent.com/downloads/gyroman.zip

Doesn't really matter though since that doesn't include code. I'll post the relevant function if you want. Basically I was using AlignToVector with MouseX and MouseY. Actually I was also using TFormVector to keep everything camera relative even though the camera rotates around.

If it's working fine with picks then just do it that way. One CamerPick for this purpose shouldn't slow things down much. Still, AlignToVector is nice since there is an optional rate parameter you can use to smooth out the movement.