.it music playback problems

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/.it music playback problems

Cancerian(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi! Just wondering if anyone else has encountered problems playing back .it music files? Whenever I try it, the song plays for about 10 seconds and then Blitz crashes saying "Blitzcc has performed an illegal operation".

In "details" it says "BLITZCC caused an invalid page fault in module RUNTIME.DLL at 016f:00b8a85a."

There is literally nothing else going on in the program to cause a crash - even tested on it's own I get the same thing:

Graphics 800,600,16,2
AppTitle "Test"
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

Main_theme = PlayMusic("system/audio/music.it")

While Not KeyHit(1)
Flip
Wend

Anyone know what's going on here? Thanks!

Cancerian(Posted 2004) [#2]
Oh, and just a note - I'm using .it files because file size is a factor in what I'm doing. MP3 and OGG aren't an option so it's important I figure this out. Thanks, again.

Sledge(Posted 2004) [#3]
What app are you using to create the .it files? Modplug Tracker's are non-standard I believe, so that could be it if you're a Modplug person.

Cancerian(Posted 2004) [#4]
Unfortunately, I don't know what program they were produced in. I was using a song by Andrew Yates from:

http://www.modarchive.com/artists/aymes/

I found a note in the Bugs forum:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=34461

This may have been caused by the Blitz 1.87 FMOD update and that it works find in Blitz 1.86 - I'm off to check that now.

Cancerian(Posted 2004) [#5]
Yup, that's exactly it. Everything runs fine in 1.86. I guess I will have to check the docs to see if there's anything I desperately need in the 1.87 update. *sigh*

Thanks for your help.

Sledge(Posted 2004) [#6]
There should be a versions.txt file in your Blitz3D directory. Perhaps converting the .it to another tracker format would help.

Sledge(Posted 2004) [#7]
If you tell me which song, I can have a closer look too, BTW.

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#8]
does this effect .xm and .mod files? this is not good

Sledge(Posted 2004) [#9]

does this effect .xm and .mod files? this is not good

I'll have a check...

Sledge(Posted 2004) [#10]
Took me a little while to find a tune that crashed out... seems to be just .it's though, converting to .xm got it working again (although of course you then have to go and fix every anomoly that the conversion process introduces).

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#11]
.IT support -is- broken in the version of FMOD that Blitz v1.87 (and presumably the latest version of B+ as well) uses... Has anyone actually posted this in the bug reports section yet?

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#12]
If its FMOD shouldn't the bug be report to fmod instead?

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#13]
If its FMOD shouldn't the bug be report to fmod instead?

Yeah, but for it to also be fixed in B3d\B+ Mark would have to release "another" update just to include the version of FMOD that doesnt have this issue.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#14]
And I'll wager you're more likely to get a bug in FMOD fixed if you hold a license for it, which Mark does, and we don't. =]