B3D memory usage

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/B3D memory usage

GW(Posted 2004) [#1]
I wanted to get some opinions on this..
My game is running full screen, no debug. I want to check the memory usage, so I ctrl+alt+delete (win XP pro) the window will quickly pop up over my game, and if im fast I can see that the game is using something like 15 to 17 megs. but very quickly the Game window will go completly minimized and i'm back to desktop. the memory usage then shows 80 to 90 megs used by the game. I can do this back and forth repetedly.
Does anyone know why this is??

here are interesting points:
1) I have 128M ram on my vid card, I think maybe windows is flushing the video ram and all the textures and graphics are showing up in system ram, but not showing in system ram when the game is running full screen.

2) when you alt-tab or something form a DirectX window the rendering context gets destroyed and it has to be re-created when you alt tab back. Maybe this has something to do with it.

ideas? anyone know of a sure method of getting the real amount of mem used by a BB game?

GfK(Posted 2004) [#2]
Try this. Wasn't really sure what "memory load" is for, but it was in the API, so I included it anyway.