3ds max models with alpha in b3d

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3ds max models with alpha in b3d

Punksmurf(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello all,

At the moment I am working at a project, in which I get a buch of .max and .3ds models which I have to put in a 3d world. As a blitz user, I plan on using blitz for that (why would i post here anyway if I didn't? :P )

Blitz can handle .3ds files just fine, but atm I have one problem: alpha is not supported. Eg: (partially) transparent objects appear solid in blitz.

I do not own 3ds max, but I downloaded an evaluation copy to try exporting to .b3d, an that works great. No problems there. The problem that I am having is that the evaluation version of 3ds max runs only 30 days and this project is planned to be finished the end of august. Buying 3ds max is not an option, since I don't have the money and this is a non-profit project.

In the code-archives I found an function to convert .3ds files to .b3d, but all colors and alpha settings are removed. I don't know about the textures though, didn't try. Anyway, it might be a nice function for other purposes, but it does not suit my needs.

Google didn't help me in my search either, so I ended up at the blitz forums, but I couldn't find any usefull information either. Probably it is somewere there, but the search is not, what they way, a really great help here.

So now I pose my question in a new topic: is there any way to use 3ds max models in b3d, while keeping all original properties (including object geometry, textures, alpha and color). I don't really care HOW this can be fixed, if it at least doesn't cost anything (because, as I said, there is no money for that).

Thanks!

Rob(Posted 2004) [#2]
www.onigirl.com/pipeline

the proper 3ds max b3d exporter. it's better than most art paths used by real game dev companies - take my word for it.

Punksmurf(Posted 2004) [#3]
Rob,

Thanks, but it's not what I'm looking for. As I said, it works great, and I really mean that. The main problem here is that I do not own 3ds max, nor do I plan to buy it.

Of course, I can ask my co-workers in this project to export as B3D, but I prefer to do it myself, since it's me who does the engine.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#4]
If you mean setting up parts of the mesh to be alpha etc you can use ultimate unwrap. It's a fairly decent price.

Otherwise use PNG with alpha textures.

Punksmurf(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thanks,

I will try Ultimate Unwrap once I get home. I can spend a $40.00 on it, no problem :)
It's just... 3ds max is quite expensive at $3.500, for which I will get a a hell of a lot of features I do not need, nor even know what they ought to do ;)

Also I will see how .PNG textures behave. Since atm I have the trail version of 3ds max installed, it'd be quite easy to try. In that case I will ask the modellers to use .PNG textures, instead of alpha meshes.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#6]
If you are wanting to set this up in levels/maps then gile[s] would be an excellent choice.

Punksmurf(Posted 2004) [#7]
It will be an outdoor location, but thanks.