Tokamak Collision Problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Tokamak Collision Problem

OverDozing(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey,
I am currently working on a car game using Tokamak.
I am having a problem with collision, at high speed, if the car collision straight in a wall, the wheels may pass through the wall, any idea how could I prevent this problem or any idea how to create an accurate system to detect when a wheel pass through a wall ?

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#2]
I was thinking about this for Voderman's tokamak sim. I thought of two possibilities:

1. Try varying the amount of substeps based on speed. This wouldn't work if you wanted to prevent this error on AIs as well.

2. Probably the better solution, although harder, is to remember the position of the 2 front wheels last frame, and do a linepick betweent he new and the old. Then, if the scene is picked, create an explosion affect on the car and put it back on the track.

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#3]
Can you not surround the car with a sphere and check for collisions against that.

OverDozing(Posted 2004) [#4]
Excellent ! :)

Thx you bot builder, I am going to try that right now!

CyberHeater, It's a little bit more complicated, we need precision ;)

Thx you guys :)

Rob(Posted 2004) [#5]
I believe you should just increase your sub-steps in advance.

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#6]
HRC_SPIDER (Posted 2004-06-13 16:34:15)
Excellent ! :)

Thx you bot builder, I am going to try that right now!

CyberHeater, It's a little bit more complicated, we need precision ;)

Thx you guys :)

Just to say i've been really impressed with your work. Looking forward to your stuff.

OverDozing(Posted 2004) [#7]
@ Rob, dont you think it would be good to have a function that checks the higher speed and add something to the substeps if the car is close to the higher speed ?
I mean, substeps seem to slowdown a bit my game? isn't it ?

@ CyberHeater, well thank you :) But trust me if I tell you all the honors goes to Sweenie, Bot Builder, Beaker and all the Tokamak People Scene :)
What I am doing with tokamak is pretty basic so far... :)

Here what I am working on right now...