Bump map effect?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Bump map effect?

gingerprince(Posted 2004) [#1]
I have a brick texture and a grey scale texture of it.
I have blended the 2 textures in Darkbasic Pro to create a bump map.
How can I blend these two Textures In Blitz3d to get a bumpmap effect?

Cheers

GP

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#2]
You've asked this question before, and the answer is the same as the last time I answered it. You can't. Blitz doesn't do bumpmaps. If you want, you can convert it to a normal map using the Photoshop plugin on the Nvidia site ( they may be a Gimp one too ) and apply it with Dot3 Blend mode, and you'll need to update the colors of the faces to keep the normal map looking right ( there's code in the archives, I believe ) but you cannot use bump maps as they are in Blitz.

Nvidia's texture tools :

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nv_texture_tools.html

Rob(Posted 2004) [#3]
A normal map is a bump map, basically. So blitz does do bump maps in plain english.

puki(Posted 2004) [#4]
There are a few demos knocking about (some more effective than others) - someone might spot this thread and point you in the right direction. There might be some in the code archives - they do exist though.

gingerprince(Posted 2004) [#5]
If Darkbasic Pro can do it in two or three lines of code then Blitz3D SHOULD be able to do it!

Can somebody explain how to bump map a simple cube with a texture and a grey scale texture?

Cheers again!

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#6]
A normal map is a bump map, basically. So blitz does do bump maps in plain english.

Except that he specified a greyscale map. And that using normal maps slows you down with either constant verex fiddling or having to dramatically increase your surface count. And that bump maps work on animated characters.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#7]
Not to mention a normal map is a series of vectors, not height, or bumps.

Rambus(Posted 2004) [#8]
gingerprince - You can say it should do it over and over again but it just wont come true! Your choices are to use normal mapping or to just sit this one out.

gingerprince(Posted 2004) [#9]
I Accept I/we need to use normal mapping - as I understand - its `better` than `bump mapping`.
ok!
How can I get `bump effects` using normal mapping.
A simple example - cube - will suffice!

cheers in advance

GP

ps.Hard luck England you deserved to beat the French!

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#10]
Read Sybixus post, he's told you in that, apply the normal map texture using dot3 blending.

Rambus(Posted 2004) [#11]
rob has a good example on his sig called "normal mapping"

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#12]
There's a grayscale heightmap to normalmap convertor in my sig ;)

FBEpyon(Posted 2004) [#13]
Ross thats not what hes looking for :P

he wants texture bump mapping not terrain.. there is a big difference between the two, this could be done with a few lines of code and a self made function the contorls the effect.. gingerprince there is a smaple in your blitz3d folder of using Bumpmapping under:

"Program Files\Blitz3D\samples\RobCummings\Bumpy"

This sample should answer all your question into bump mapping a texture thank you :P

Sledge(Posted 2004) [#14]

I have a brick texture and a grey scale texture of it.
I have blended the 2 textures in Darkbasic Pro to create a bump map.

Eh? How? It always looks rubbish unless I use a normal map!

Ross thats not what hes looking for :P

No it *is* what he's looking for... Ross' convertor takes a greyscale heightmap/bumpmap and outputs a normal map for you. It's very handy so I'll say thanks here.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#15]
gingerprince - use ross's converter and the source code to the normal demo in my signature.

It is all you need.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#16]
.Provided all you're mapping is a plane.
g, You can only use worldspace mapping techniques(/\) on geo it's specifically designed for, so just converting a regular bump-map into normal map isn't enough.

You either have to project and bake it across the geo, or create the normal map from the 3d geo. You need tangant mapping to use a regular normal map on any geo.
Which isn't a native 'feature' of blitz3d.

Also world-space mapping only really things on small entities...as the 'light' is basically a directional vector.
How do you define this vector in a abstractly shaped level?

Normal maps in blitz are not worth the bother imo...the only decent looking method is tangant, and for whatever reason mark didn't provde fast methods for doing this so..just a shame.

gingerprince(Posted 2004) [#17]
I presume the lighter the area`s in a grey scale map the more ` raised` it will look when eventually applied as a bump map?

If that makes sense......

Rob(Posted 2004) [#18]
When converted using ross's converter I would imagine so.

gingerprince(Posted 2004) [#19]
cheers! I think I`m getting somewhere now.

As a matter of interest what sort of hit on FPS would `normal mapping` have over standard texturing?

GP

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#20]
I big hit if you use it everywhere...enuf it can make even some graphic demo's crawl on my system....and those were written in OpenGl!

Rob(Posted 2004) [#21]
As a matter of interest what sort of hit on FPS would `normal mapping` have over standard texturing?
Depends on the hardware. Not much really in my tests.

Probably a fair hit on other machines. Do a little testing. And remember to test if the card can do it first and gracefully disable the effect if it cant. GraphicsDriverCaps or something.

gingerprince(Posted 2004) [#22]
I have a GF4TI4200 (times 8) so shouln`t be a problem there.