B3D Animation Ain't

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/B3D Animation Ain't

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#1]
I have an animated door in my game... it looks grand... I select it and it animates open.

But there is a problem.

I animated it in Milkshape. It was a simple 5 second job.

Exported it to .X and (for giggles) .B3D

Used it and even though the door swings open... it doesn't really move out of the way of the doorway. The doorway is still blocked.

Is this a bug? I posted this in the bug forums and was told to use pickentity and a collisions library. I think this is very good advice except that I don't know whata collisions library is. Nor do I understand what pickentity has to do with this...

I know it is because I am still VERY new to Blitz3d.

Can anyone explain this in more detail for my addled pate???

-Rook

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#2]
Rook,

So the door actually opens but it is not clear from your post what the actual problem is:

(1) It doesn't open wide enough?
(2) It opens but you cannot walk through as a character/camera
(3)You cant figure out how to set up collisions in B3d/

Please be very specific so we can help.

IPete2.

btw a collision library such as Nuclear Glory is just an extra set of instructions you can buy to add to B3d (in Dll form) to make your collision detection a little more effective. From what you have stated so far you should try B3d collisions first.

John Blackledge(Posted 2004) [#3]
There should be no problem here. I suspect that your player entity radius is too big(?)

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#4]
No.

The door opens.

The door is open.

The doorway is empty since the door has rotated open in the animation.

But the door isn't really open.

It looks open. The doorway is clear. If the door is ROTATEENTITY then the door can be walked through.

But even though the door animated open it doesn't really open.

I am going to try to post a link to the adoor.b3d file for you guys to experiment with.

Click here for the door file! I think that will work. The handle is: http://www.silverimports.com/web3ds/adoor1.b3d

Play with it and see. Did I make a mistake animating in Milkshape???

-RZ

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#5]
is it beacause you are animating the mesh, but not the collision radius?

Doiron(Posted 2004) [#6]
Maybe you have the mesh set to box or sphere collision while you are not changing entity's radius/bounding box as well.

Try with EntityPickMode entity,2 (poligonal collision) in order to see if it works this way.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#7]
Rook,

check your e-mail - I have just mailed you a demo and it seems to work okay

IPete2.