normal mapping and lights

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/normal mapping and lights

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#1]
Gee I am daft.
I was looking at Rob's normal mapping demo, and I suddenly realised that using dot 3 normal mapping in blitz seems to give out nicer (smoother, doesn't seem to be vertex lights, but actually pixel perfect...) results with the dx lights. Is this true?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
Yeah, because each pixels is lighted, instead of each vertex. It's pixel perfect lighting. Harder to achieve than normal stuff, but worth it in many cases :) I have a heightmap to normal map convertor in my sig. It comes with a example heightmap, so you can see.

Also, check out L_Draven's post about his normal mapped characters.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=35017

Most techniques used for normal mapping characters and such, require a high poly version of the character, with all the details made from polygons. This detail is then turned into a normal map, which simulates the detail. Looks impressive :) I think only the high-end 3d packages have this ability though...

Also, to light a model using per pixel lighting, you need to use entity colour, to move the light source.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#3]
I would use EntityColor for a single object like that statue, and use vertex colors for the walls of your map.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#4]
okay, thanks! I guess I'm no longer going to complain about blitz's lighting :D

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#5]
Yes, you have no excuses :)

Good point Halo.