alpha objects z-order

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/alpha objects z-order

Pinete(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi all,
Please, someone knows if there exist some kind of issue
related with the ordering of objects with alpha < 1 ??
I have a object (the sea) with alpha at 0.6 and some ships adjusting in the y-axis... when a ship fire, some explosion appears at the sides of the ship, but it seems like those explosion (painted with alpha) doesn't order correctly resulting traslucent...
Please, some idea????

Thanks in advance!!

Rhyolite(Posted 2004) [#2]
I beleive that entitys with alpha loose their z-order. However, Blitz correctly displays 'alpha' entities based on its local 0,0,0 coordinates in releation to other entities. However, within an entity (or surface) 'alpha' polys are rendered in the order they were created without any z-order. This is a DIrectX problem/limitation I believe. This order can be recalculated so that polys are drawn back to front and hence render correctly. Check the code archives, their is a function in their that does it for you.

Rhy

Rhyolite(Posted 2004) [#3]
Sorry, just re-read your original post and not sure if this is the problem you have. If the explosion, sea and ship are seperate entities then its not (according to my understanding). However, in my search to unwravel my 'alpha' problems I read about a number of other 'alpha' problems (which in most cases went straight over my head!) - so try searching the forums and you may find your answer.

Rhy

simonh(Posted 2004) [#4]
[faq 32]

Try using EntityOrder to render your explosions last, then they should always appear in front of the sea.

Pinete(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thanks a lot guys!
:)