Fastest GUI

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Fastest GUI

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#1]

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#2]

Rhyolite(Posted 2004) [#3]
I am no expert but went through similar process myself. I do not think their is a 'best' editor, it really comes down to requirements and personal preference.

Most GUI's are aimed at window style interfaces, and although they offer varying levels of flexibility, you will always be limited to a 'windows' style. Some look very nice, some offer more features and some are aimed at speed. However, from my searchings I do not believe any of these will look 'awesome' in most game types.

Swifts GUI gives you some excellent functions to create your own GUI and is excellent for game HUD's etc. It can of course be used to create ANY gui, not just HUD's, but will take a lot of work to setup (compared to the 'window' style gui's).

Personaly, I use sswifts GUI (in game) and BlitzUI (for my 'never to be seen by the public' editors etc). Also, being a relative novice, I have found sswifts code an extremly useful teaching aid as it is extremly well documented.

Hmmm, not sure if that helps? But it feels good to add something to the community instead of seeming to be always taking (i.e. asking questions)!!

Rhy Out

Dock(Posted 2004) [#4]
Ah, it's good to know how you break it down for your own projects. I'm in the process of working on an editor, so I'm thinking that maybe I should opt for a GUI such as BlitzUI in order to make it less work.

Hmm, neither SSwift's GUI and BlitzUI are listed on the toolbox page:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?cat=14

EDIT: I'm using BlitzUI at the moment, and WOW, this is great. This is going to make my editor so much easier (and more fun) to put together. Highly recommended. ^_^

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#5]
I'm also using BlitzUI and it's pretty good. And free :)

Rhyolite(Posted 2004) [#6]
For sswifts gui, do a search on his name and links are in his siggy I think. Sswifts gui gives you some 'tools' to create gui's rather than doing it yourself from scratch. Its more work than BlitzUI but you have much more flexibility. I find it very useful but it does have a cost.

Rhy Out!

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#7]

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#8]
BCF 3, looks good, and fast. Is there a GUI editor for it? like BlitzUI?

Rhyolite(Posted 2004) [#9]
BCF does not have an editor from what I remember, if it did I might have purchased it. I think Xllnt2(ii) has an editor but will also cost ya! You can't beat BlitzUI for the cost in my mind ;)

F-UI 3D seems very tempting, but again looks too much like 'windows' for in a game and I dont need the speed for my editors. Blurring is probably be due to Blitz3D smothing the textures it uses (cos its 3D), but this will be the same for any text displayed in 3D (including sswifts) I think?? However, I find text in sswifts gui to be ok unless you try to go very small and can not remember what FUI looked like so I cant compare (try comparing with sswifts gui demo text?).

So, for me BlitzUI and sswifts gui are the perfect partners!!! Jeez, the things I have to keep saying to try and get some commission ;o) lol!

Rhy Out!

Filax(Posted 2004) [#10]
BCF have a free version too :

http://www.blitz3dfr.com/mes_projets.htm

http://www.blitz3dfr.com/click/clic.php?url=http://www.blitz3dfr.com/mes_projets/BCF_2.0.zip

Try it :) it's a very simple GUI to use :)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#11]
We use BCF, it's fast very easy to use and does pretty much everything. In fact we constantly pester Filax to add new stuff and sometimes within hours he sends us a new version with the changes in!

It doesn't have an editor to draw forms etc but it's so easy to use it's never presented a problem.

We can highly recommend it.

Filax(Posted 2004) [#12]
"In fact we constantly pester Filax" loool :)

it's a pleasure :)

sswift(Posted 2004) [#13]
Nobody pesters me to add stuff to my GUI. And that's because it already does everyhting they want it to. :-)

Filax(Posted 2004) [#14]
:) lol swift :) maybe :)

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#15]

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#16]

Odds On(Posted 2004) [#17]
F-UI 3D is the fastest ;) F-UI 3D is similar to BlitzUI with its SendMessage() system so if you can use BlitzUI, F-UI 3D should be right up your alley :)

GW(Posted 2004) [#18]
F-ui lite wouldn't even run for me. probably many others too.

Filax(Posted 2004) [#19]
xmlspy : more speed up :) more control like 3D viewport,
path requester, etc ...

Yappy(Posted 2004) [#20]
xmlspy : XLnt ii is pretty good, but I would say that wouldn't I ;) It contains loads of features, and is easy to use. But like i always say - try them all out and pick which is best for you :)

Filax(Posted 2004) [#21]
sure yappy !