loading image?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/loading image?

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#1]
What would be the best way to have a loading image for a program? I tried having an image that is loaded and displayed until the main loop is entered, but it pops up less than a half second before the program actually loads (load time without image is aprox. 4 seconds). So, how can I do this properly, and so the image is completely standaone (not inside a window).

NigelC(Posted 2004) [#2]
If it only takes 4 seconds to load why worry, loading images are there to try and cover up extended loading periods.

If you want it there to show people what they are loading, just in case they have short memories and can't remember what icon they clicked just have a short pause after the image has loaded.

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#3]
Try drawing it on the backbuffer and do a "Flip True", a "Delay 'something'" will definately do it, but the needed time can probably variate from system to system.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#4]
the reason I'm putting a load image is because I'm not close to finishing this project, and load times will probably get worse. The image is only 20 k so I'm surprised by how long it takes to load it.
I suppose there's no quick way to not house it in a windows window? I have a windows GUI system that can handle that though.

NigelC(Posted 2004) [#5]
If you are still working on it I'd leave it out until the end, otherwise you will have to wait for it everytime you test it.

At the end see how long it takes to load then consider the loadimage option, or you might think of a better way to handle it by then